FRI, 2:30PM ET
HOU
FRI, 8:30PM ET
USA
MEX

EPL Weekend Viewing Guide, Gameweek 10

EPL Weekend Viewing Guide, Gameweek 10

What a weekend we have ahead!  Three big derbies, plus two Champions League sides facing off in the Saturday tea-time match at Old Trafford.

First, please note that in Europe they move their clocks back this Sunday morning, whereas we in America wait an extra week.  So the matches this Sunday, Monday, and then the following Saturday will all start an hour later here than we are used to. So west coasters can sleep an extra hour if you want to watch matches live.

Our 4-star match will be United hosting Spurs Saturday afternoon. No Rooney, but the little pea is on fire, and you know a United game is likely going to come down to injury time. The pick of the derbies might be Villa-Brum, but the tackles will be flying in at Newcastle you can be sure. I can’t find live television for the derby at Villa, but FS+ will have it tape-delayed at 11:30 am ET.

Here’s the viewing guide:

****:  Must-see.  Cancel all other activities.  Do not even DVR as even in America you might hear the score!
***:  Strong match; worth watching live; DVR a must if you can’t see live
**:   Flip through quickly to see the goals, red cards, injuries, and perhaps watch the last 5 minutes + injury time if close
*:    Only if you’re a die-hard

Matches shown in chronological order:

Saturday, October 30 (all times EDT)

** ArsenalWest Ham, 10 am, FSC/FD
Not the most exciting derby of the week.  The Hammers started brightly home to Newcastle, then faded and were truly awful in the 2nd half.  They did advance mid-week, however, to the Carling Cup quarterfinal, along with the Gunners.  Terrific win for Wenger’s crew at the Eastlands Sunday.

** BlackburnChelsea, 10 am, ESPN2/ESPND & espn3.com
ESPN had first pick and went for this match over the London derby.  This fixture finished 1-1 last year.

** WolverhamptonMan City, 10 am, FS+ & foxsoccer.tv
City came and thumped Wolves nil-3 last year. Mancini still needs more consistency if he wants to contend. Tevez has gone home to Argentina again, and there’s even talk the star may miss the mid-week Manchester derby in 2 weeks.

** EvertonStoke, 10 am, foxsoccer.tv & 5 pm (delayed) FSC

* FulhamWigan, 10 am, foxsoccer.tv & 8 pm (delayed) FS+

**** Man
UtdTottenham, 12:30 pm, FSC/FD
United won each fixture last year by identical 3-1 margins.  While there’s been recent talk of the aging stars Giggs, Scholes and Van der Sar at United, this game will still feature some of the best young players in the game:  Hernandez, Bale, Nani, Lennon.  + Berbatov and Van der Vaart.  If Spurs get a penalty, I imagine it will be the mellifluous combination of Van der Vaart facing Van der Sar.  My dictionary says Vaart means speed whereas Sar means tease or nag, so perhaps the Spurs should be favored in that matchup.

Sunday, October 31
*** Aston VillaBirmingham, 8 am, foxsoccer.tv & 11:30 am (delayed) FS+
This is still the Second City derby, and it’s always one of the most intense matches of the season.  Villa have won 6 of these in a row, and in many of those 6 they’ve won with a very late goal.  The penalty that decided the last one in April was hotly contested, and I have to say I agree with Birmingham fans that Martin Atkinson erred.

*** NewcastleSunderland, 9:30 am, FS+ & foxsoccer.tv
This terrific rivalry is also back in the EPL.  I give 50% odds Joey Barton sees red.

* BoltonLiverpool, 12 noon, FSC
Note the noon kickoff.

Monday, November 1

** BlackpoolWest Brom, 4 pm, ESPND & espn3.com
Their league standings don’t reflect this, but it might be an early 6-pointer for two newly promoted sides.  No ESPN2 again.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to EPL Weekend Viewing Guide, Gameweek 10

1. Jaime says:

The TV guide shows Arsenal vs West Ham as the game shown on ESPN 2.

• charlestace says:

Jaime, I’ve been seeing promos all week on FSC for Arsenal-West Ham. So I’m guessing your TV listings are incorrect. I wouldn’t put it past those wizards at FSC to promote the wrong game, either, but I think an incorrect listing is more likely.

2. Chris says:

Blackpool v West Brom should be an entertaining match I am amazed that ESPN2 didn’t pick that match up! Ohhh well guess I have to watch it on ESPN3. Will this be the approach for ESPN the rest of the season?? I really enjoyed taping the Monday matches and watching that instead of Monday night football last year.

• olivert says:

ESPN2 is supposed to have to big Monday night matches, i.e. those involving Manchester United, Chelsea, and Arsenal in December.

3. JP says:

My directv guide shows it just as it is above… Chelsea vs Blackburn on ESPN2 … Arsenal vs. West Ham on FSC

4. John R says:

I’ll be traveling during the Newcastle/Sunderland derby (a match ive waited so incredibly long far), but fortunately foxsoccer.tv is proving itself to be a very worthwhile purchase. The nearest internet i’ll be able to access is a 20 mile drive from where i’ll be staying, but im making that trip bright and early Monday morning, grabbing the largest coffee i can find and plunking myself down for two hours. Ill try not to hug random people or throwing my coffee at the screen (depending on how the game progresses).Seriously cant wait for that game.

• The Gaffer says:

John, the other option is to sign up for the Fox Soccer iPhone app. It’s $7.99/month and you can watch the game right on your iPhone or iPad.

I know what you mean when you say you’ve been waiting for the Newcastle/Sunderland derby for so long. It’s almost November and I’m still waiting to see my first Swansea City game on Fox Soccer Channel or Fox Soccer Plus this season. My first chance will be November 6 when Swansea play Cardiff in the Welsh derby.

• John R. says:

Yea, i thought about that since ill have access to both of those during the trip, but im going to a very rural area that has terrible phone reception. i think im straight up walking into a horror movie for a few days, come to think of it. So, that rules out the iphone and the ipad (i think). Im taking my computer on the trip (for DVD watching at the place im staying at), so i will be able to log into foxsoccer.tv whenever i make the drive to the place with accessible wifi.

5. Man Utd V Tottenham gets four stars, yet two of the biggest derbies in England get 3? Dear Lord…

• EvertonfanKY says:

Thats David The septic tank for you. Hes not that creative to write about the Everton game, Liverpool game and Fulham game. Shame he couldn’t even piece together a few nice words did some research and add some creativtiy to his article.

I guess why I gave this article 1*

6. Phil Sandifer says:

Really? Liverpool vs. Bolton gets one star? I feel like Liverpool have enough drama going on that that’s a game that should merit two stars at least. I mean, the rebuilding project at Liverpool is, to my mind, one of the most fascinating stories in the Premier League at the moment.