FRI, 2:30PM ET
HOU
FRI, 8:30PM ET
USA
MEX

Destroying the Myths of Birmingham City and Newcastle

Destroying the Myths of Birmingham City and Newcastle

On the eve of a new Premier League season, two sides are enjoying a free-ride from many football observers. I aim to set the record straight, but I maintain an open mind, so if you think I am wrong, please comment.

I’ll start with Birmingham City. Twelve months ago, the Blues were looking forward to a season of Premier League football, albeit after labouring to second place in the Championship. Despite their lacklustre promotion, most pundits steered clear of naming Blues as relegation favourites. As a Wolves fan, I spluttered. Why, after storming the Championship in style, well ahead of our near neighbours, were my team now being regarded as less able to survive? I put it down to lazy journalism. Birmingham had enjoyed a few recent years of relative top flight stability, their name was fresher in sports writer’s minds. Not to worry I thought, they would be shown up.

I was wrong.

Birmingham went on to do more than just stay-up, amassing 50 points and plenty of plaudits on their way to a 9th place finish. Understandably therefore, Birmingham are now not a team being associated with a relegation battle this season. But I refuse to learn my lesson. I think they are far from safe.

The reason they did so well last season is clear. The experienced top-flight veterans who had stumbled to promotion in the hustle and bustle of the Championship, returned to their home in the Premier League, and complimented by an inspired loaned goalkeeper, and a couple of solid centre-halves.

Such experience was key to Birmingham’s success. But when does this experienced bubble burst? The likes of Carr, Bowyer, Ferguson and Phillips are at the twilight of their careers, and as such, time is running-out for the spine of Blues’ team. Therefore Birmingham have a major rebuilding job on the horizon, and it is a brave team who continues to rely so heavily on aging legs, especially having lost their stalwart in goal.

There is every chance those legs may last another season, but that is by no means a given, making Birmingham over-valued and an excellent outside bet for relegation. They are however, mere pretenders. The real charlatans are Newcastle United.

The media love-in with Newcastle knows no bounds. Mid-table, even a push for Europe, has been predicted for the North-East club.

Why?

Let’s analyse the spine of Newcastle’s side and start in defence. Ryan Taylor is solid enough, but will miss the opening month of the season. This leaves the evergreen Sol Campbell to step into his shoes and partner Fabricio Coloccini. Let’s not beat around the bush. Campbell and Coloccini will be one of the least mobile central defence pairings in the Premier League. So slow are they in fact, they make the likes of Carragher and Terry look like Bolt and Gay. This is without remembering the Argentinean’s forgettable form when Newcastle were relegated, and Campbell’s weight problems and fragile mind.

Moving onto central midfield, many Premier League previews have listed Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan as reasons Newcastle will consolidate this season. I see the opposite as true. In a similar vain to their defensive pairing, mobility will be at a premium in the Magpies’ midfield this season. In fact, the lack of movement from Smith and Nolan was largely cited as the central reason Newcastle were relegated in the first place. Neither player is young, so why is it being assumed that a season in the Championship has made them a capable Premiership pairing?

Andy Carroll has been revered as the second-coming of Alan Shearer on Tyneside, and while no doubt showing promise, many a striker has banged in goals at Championship level and failed to replicate such exploits in the top flight. Just ask Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. Most relegated sides are undone by their inability to score goals, and Newcastle are entering this season without a proven goalscorer. Potential alone won’t score the goals to keep them up.

On the managerial front, Chris Hughton has done an admirable job steadying the ship at St James’s Park, but lacks Premier League experience. Don’t forget, the club put a stop to his disappointing stint as caretaker boss in 2009.

Lastly, new faces have been few and far between at Newcastle, with the club stating there will be no monetary outlay on transfers. This ordinarily would be a nail in the coffin of a promoted club, but the signing of Dan Gosling on a free seems to have masked the major issues the club faces in terms of squad improvement.

I’m not saying Newcastle will go down. All I suggest is that they are looked at in the cold light of day that other promoted clubs receive. Evidence of improvement over the side that was relegated is slim, and I see no reason to believe that they won’t be part of the relegation struggle this season.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Destroying the Myths of Birmingham City and Newcastle

1. Ian says:

Idiot. Media love-in with NUFC? Show us the proof moron. I haven’t seen any media coverage that doesn’t forecast a rough ride or even the drop back to the Championship. Stupidest piece on this site ever – and that’s saying something

• u aint no brian clough says:

The superlative form of stupid is most stupid, as in I made the most stupid mistake, not stupidest….who’s stupid now sonny?

2. You say Hughton has no Premier League experience but did Wenger/Ancelotti/Mourinho or even Ferguson have English football experience when they managed teams? I don’t think so.

And I think you mean Steven Taylor, not Ryan Taylor, R Taylor is a right back/right midfielder who struggled to cement his place in the Newcastle squad in the Championship.

Coloccini did have a poor first season in England, but in the Championship he seemed to put a bit more no nonsense in his game. Have you also selectively missed out Jose Enrique, who was running up the wing for fun last season and is a solid defender? And yeah Campbell is not in the right shape, but you’d get that when you haven’t been training in pre-season and instead have been on a honey moon and wedding. He was in similar shape when he signed for Arsenal last season and he ended up playing in the Champions League. I won’t even go into the “fragile mind” shot at him.

Nolan is bound to play just behind Carroll in our first game I believe and he was given more a liscene just to look to knick goals, sure hes not fast but he can get the odd goal and hes popular in the Toon dressing room. Smith has been ousted this season as Hughton appears to want Barton to start in midfield, so in other words – Smith and Nolan are not midfield starters for definate.

And since that statement of ‘no monetary outlay’, Hughton has admitted that there is some money to spend but he wants to use it wisely, we’re trying to broker a loan deal for Ben Arfa at the moment in actual fact but Marsielle are being a bit snide about it.

I don’t understand who you’re having a go at really, Newcastle fans know that we’re in for a relegation battle, but theres nothing wrong with thinking that we can stay up with a group of players who have so much Premiership experience. Andy Carroll is not known as the “second coming of Shearer” on Tyneside, I’ve never heard anyone within the area even compare the two. What we instead know is that we have a good young English striker that isn’t phased by any challenge put in front of him. He’s not going to bang them in like Shearer but he is an effective player for us.

3. Richard says:

“The media love-in with Newcastle knows no bounds”

What planet do you live on? The media are always hammering Newcastle. I’d stick to worrying about your own feeble chances of staying up rather then spouting sh*t about 2 clubs much bigger than Wolves.

• Wolves in SC says:

Newcastle…bigger fan base? Definitely. Success in their history? No.
      Birmingham…bigger fan base? No. Success in their history? No

• Richard says:

“Newcastle…bigger fan base? Definitely. Success in their history? No.”

Well now, I don’t believe in living in the past, but I do believe in proving idiots wrong:

Football League First Division Champions
        Newcastle 4 Wolves 3

FA Cup Winners
        Newcastle 6 Wolves 4

European Cups
        Newcastle 1 Wolves 0

Oh but wait, they won the league cup so you muct be right? MUPPET

• Dan says:

Ha ha. Nice one Richard. But you forgot that Wolves won the mighty “Texaco Cup” once….which is still less than the Toon. lol

I love it when people start spouting things about history but don’t have the brains to check their facts. Wolves in SC is indeed a muppet!

• Simon Towers says:

Add to that the majority of the first division trophies won by Newcastle were pre-sky era of the Premier League, only 2 of those won when the Premier League existed.
          So:
          English Champions
          Newcastle 4 Wolves 3

• Wolves in SC says:

1 more league title and the same number of domestic cups. You won a Fairs Cup, Wolves lost a UEFA Cup final 3 years later. Over the course of 120 odd years, its more success, but pretty comparable. It doesn’t connote much bigger to me, but it is marginally more successful.

How do you compute Birmingham to be bigger?

• A.Stokes says:

Sorry…..TYPICAL Newcastle….European Cups???? You mean the Inter-Cities Trade Fair friendly tournament you were INVITED to because of Trade Fair cities? Are you covering this as the UEFA cup which was invented After this? what a laughable comment.

• u aint no brian clough says:

eu ….eur …european what?? lol dream on …i used to think this website was ok

• Andy says:

“Newcastle… Success in their history? No.” 4 league titles and 6 FA cups.

• Richard says:

“Newcastle… Success in their history? No.” 4 league titles and 6 FA cups. This compares to favourably to Wolves. 3 league titles and 4 FA cups. You have lost all credibility, if you had any to start with.

I think you’ll find that whilst it “compares to favourably” it is still LESS. Perhaps you can come back and chat once you’ve got though Basic Maths for Dummies????

• rg says:

wolves in sc
        Newcastle…bigger fan base? Definitely. Success in their history? No.
        no only the 8th most successful side in england 6 fa cups 4 league titles and i euro cup
        so hows that a no
        recent success is thin on the ground but you said history
        get your facts right as for the article what a crock of sh.t

• waycool6 says:

Newcastle…bigger fan base? Definitely. Success in their history? yes.
        Birmingham…bigger fan base? Definitely. Success in their history? some

my tips for relegation
        Blackpool
        West-brom
        Wolves

4. Rob says:

Good stuff. Ryan Taylor is an centre half who is out injured is he? Perhaps a small amount of research would have helped add to the credibility of this pointless bit of internet ranting.

Lazy journalism indeed….

5. BLC says:

With regards to Newcastle I think you will find that the midfield will be Guthrie and Barton, Nolan tends to play behind Carroll and Smith did not play many games towards the end of last Season. However, should the signing of Ben Arfa come off I think one of our major weaknesses could be addressed, a lack of creativity in midfield.

In defence we also have Taylor and Williamson, who are far from the worst defenders in the league. Enrique is a premier league left back by the way, after having settled he is looking like a talent.

Other players, Guttierez and Routledge can play and can create also.

The other major weakness is a reliably striker, Ameobi is not good enough, neither is Best. Xisco doesn’t seem interested and Carroll is unproven. Its no wonder we are bidding for Erding from PSG.

Add to that the stability we now have and I am quite confident, baring a spate of injuries that we have enough in the team to stay up.

• u aint no brian clough says:

i bet smith does well.. i remember 2002 when he was half decent lol the word passenger should be on the back of his shirt

6. Craig says:

What a load of sh*t, Every Newcastle fan has raised the same arguement about Nolan and Smith, The fact that Hughton has recently preferred a Barton/Guthrie pairing giving us a more fluent side that keeps the ball really well.

Carroll is only untried if you dont count that he scored three in eleven in a woeful relegated side last time in the premiership, More impressive is the fact that he only started just 4 games.

As for Campbell and Coloccini they have a ridiculous ammount more talent, class and pace than Berra and Craddock will ever have, Worry about your own side mate i suggest…

7. Kaje says:

Whilst I think Newcastle fans are perha

8. Gordon says:

Although I appreciate this article is about opinions on Blues & Newcastle; how do you think your team will fare this season? As I recall, my Wolves family & firends were thowing the towel in & around Xmas last year. Do you think McM’s style & nouse will support another late run for Wolves survival this forthcoming season. Mark my words – Watch for the Derbies this season, they’re gonna be awesome!

9. Damian says:

Agreed, this man is an idiot.

Most pre-season previews have put us around 16th/17th, but better not let that get in the way of a good story.

As for the NUFC love-in, i think that ended in the late 90s, early 2000s. If anything, nowadays we seem to be the target for utterly pointless articles along the lines of this one.

10. Kaje says:

Whilst I think Newcastle fans are perhaps letting the promotion optimism get to them a little bit, I don’t think they’ll be relegated – they will, however, have a tough season ahead of them.

As for Birmingham being an outside bet for relegation, I think Wolves would have more chance of netting you some return.

11. richie says:

Media love in??………they stick the knife into us at every opportunity.
    I think you mean Stephen Taylor and he’ll miss at least 2 months of the season.We know its going to be a long tough season but we won’t be the only ones going through it.
    Birmingham had a great season last year and it doesn’t neccesarily follow that they’ll have another one but they may well do.Take probably the top 8 out of the equation and any of the other 12 could feasibly be involved in a relegation fight.That’s what makes the game interesting.
    Enjoy the season lads who ever you follow.

12. Coolblue says:

Wthout doubt the biggest pile of shiote i have ever seen.

13. bluetongue says:

Only 3 ‘over 30′ players will start in the Blues line up – Bowyer, Carr and Ferguson (Phillips is out for months) – the rest of the squad are all well under 30, average age 26. I don’t understand your argument.

14. ChrisC says:

The reason Newcastle were relegated was down to so much off-the-pitch disruption, trying to get a manager in place & having a few players who weren’t committed to playing for the club.

With the players Newcastle had back then, they shouldn’t have been anywhere near the relegation zone.

Team spirit & togetherness can go a long way in football, and Newcastle seemed to have that in abundance last season.
    Given the dross that was in the lower end of the Premier League last season, I honestly think, with the team they had, Newcastle could’ve quite comfortably survived quite easily mid-table in the Premier League last season. Which is exactly where I think they’ll finish this season. Europe is pushing it a bit though.

15. Tom Hingley says:

My mistake regarding Steven (not Ryan) Taylor, but I stand by the rest of the piece. Newcastle fans are being reasonable realistic, but I believe the club has somewhat of a free ride from much of the media. I mean not to be snide, just to redress the balance a little.

16. Cyprus-Toon says:

LOL – have you actually read what you’ve written before you posted it on the web mate because if you had, you’d probably have rewritten most of it because it’s the biggest load of trash I’ve read these past months… LOL

I think the only reason you’ve mentioned the Brummies & us the TOOn is because you know that our fans will rip this complete peiece of crap-loid rubbish to shreds & actually in the process give your dismall website/blog some ratings whihc I’m sure you’ll deperate to get!!

And another point to make, your manager made a comment about your club being bigger than the Toon a while back, to be brutally honest, I think his nose is probably bigger than your club… lol

So well done on the higher ratings but next time, think of something that is actually worth writing yeah ;)

17. Johnny Zulu says:

Wrong about Birmingham. Ridgewell, Hart, Dann, Johnson, Jerome, Benitez, Larsson, McFadden, Michel, Gardner, Fahey,McFadden etc none of them have ageing legs. Played good football, great manager, great spirit and quality inthe team. Try and get your facts right in future

• Bumpyfunk says:

Benitez is long gone mate. He has scored 3 in 2 games for Santos in the past week. Shame. Just as he hits form…
      Fad looks like going to Celtic too.
      With Camoranesi coming in (maybe), Lars might not get in the team either…

18. Charlietoon says:

Tom Hingley I don’t think you have watched much Newcastle football lately and I cant blame you but you dont even seem to have your finger on the pulse in terms of fan talk and commonsense.

Sol wont play till he is fit…der
    Collo and Williamson had a great season together keeping many clean sheets and will start as our centre backs. Jose Enrique was the fans player of the season…but surely he wont make a difference.

Not one fan wants to see Smith or Nolan start as out two centre mids…we hope Chris can see the same.

We have three players who scored between 15 and 20 goals last season…. thats a lot and will serve us well especially as the gap between the 8th and 20th teams seems smaller than ever.

Gosling was an opportunistic buy and a good one. Nothing negative there.

19. Ste says:

In response to the Newcastle media love-in can I just point out that the media hate us! All this messiah crap and delusion that we have (the expectation is 17th so what’s wrong with that?) really does my head in as we end up getting turned into a laughing stock! Nobody called for Keegan to return when he did and nobody called for Shearer as manager but he was installed and Sky said “here comes the messiah” when he walked put the tunnel at SJP no Newcastle fan called him a messiah! In regards to Chris Hughton he deserves a chance having rescued us from the CCC and he had a poor time as caretaker as players like Owen didn’t respect him and only cared for his wage package! I hope NUFC and Wolves survive next season as I like Wolves as they are a proper club with proper fans!

20. Simon Towers says:

When have we ever had a free ride Tom?
    Haddaway an’ shite man!!!
    Everyone was baying for blood in our relegation season, baying for us to drop from the championship (i.e. do a Leeds) and still would love to see us fail again now.
    The press and opposition fans always give us geordies a rough time, despite probably never having visited the city and also, in the case of journos especially, never taking up offers to come sit in the Strawberry before a match when we play their team or otherwise and have a chat with the average joe geordie, many would be shocked that we’re not all like the pond life that sky and the other media love to show stood outside St James’s on a weekday afternoon.
    We expect we’re in for a hard slog and will be in amongst the relegation battle, but we have a decent enough team and spirit that hopefully will see us scrape 17th, anything else above that is a bonus.
    Also as previously mentioned by other toon fans, you need to check your facts – Campbell isn’t even 3rd choice, he’ll probably be behind a certain Mike Williamson in the pecking order – who at times even looked better than dare I say it Steven Taylor when partnering Collocini, who has adapted to the English game after having admittedly a nightmare first season!
    Also as mentioned you missed out Jose Enrique at left back (Arguably our player of the season) & Jonas Gutierrez on the wing, alongside Wayne Routledge – two key wingers who were instrumental in the thrashings we handed out to some of the best teams in the Championship at home last season, some who I’d even go as far as saying aren’t too far off in quality from the bottom half teams of the Prem.

Please think & properly research before you make such scathing generalisations, especially when the article also shows you have a complete lack of knowledge about our club (in the case of Smith, he will either be heading to pastures anew or benchwarming for the vast majority, Carroll isn’t the new “Messiah”, he’s just a very naughty boy – albeit with a decent enough record last time in the Premier League – especially considering his first proper full senior season was the last one in the Championship), it just makes you look ill advised and ill informed, so I’d focus on my own club and their chances of survival if I were you.
    The only myth you have destroyed here is that your are knowledgeable in matters of football!!

21. Pete34 says:

“My mistake regarding Steven (not Ryan) Taylor, but I stand by the rest of the piece.”
    What about this error?
    You say “In fact, the lack of movement from Smith and Nolan was largely cited as the central reason Newcastle were relegated in the first place.”
    a. Do you realise that Nolan wasn’t signed until the January and only started ten games.
    b. Alan Smith missed most of the season injured and only started FOUR games all season!! I’m not his biggest fan but how can the guy possibly be given as one of the central reasons for relegation….

22. MNUfan1991 says:

What about Ameobi?

23. Aidan says:

This is one of the funniest articles I’ve read all summer! No credibility and I’d love to meet a fan in Newcastle who believes we are going to finish in Europe this season! I thought this article was a joke when I first read it! Love the likening of carrol as the new shearer! The only similarity toon fans see between the two is re fact they both have heads!

24. Bumpyfunk says:

A few points:

1) Not many pundits said Birmingham would stay up last season. It was a particular bug bear of mine. The whole panel on Sky Sports, for example, has us to go down straight away.
    2) Lacklustre promotion? We were in the middle of dealing with a messy take over that left McLeish finding himself in the Championship through no fault of his own. First time he ever tried to get out, he did.
    3) Not sure whether you have noticed or not, but not only have we got an improving academy (with the likes of Jack Buttland being the England U17 goalie coming through the ranks), but have also been buying younger equivalents of our ‘aging legs’. Michel (Sportin Gijon player of the season two years running) and Valles (former Barcelona Youth Academy) both look excellent aquisitions. To add to that (at time of writing) Camoranesi being lined up for his last year (maybe more ‘aging legs’ but priceless as a World Cup Medal winner). In addition, we couldnt help but lose Hart, but have replaced him with the other current England called up goalie, Foster.
    With Dembele looking increasingly like moving over (One of the players of the year in the Eredivisie last year under van Gaal), I really dont think we will have a problem.

Add to that, our manager has had excellent previous with both Scottish domestic and national teams(Rangers – two titles, Scotlands best run in years)…now is instantly doing well in the Premiership. May I remind you that he bought Arteta to the UK. His purchases have been second to none since he arrived at Stans.

We are showing real aspiration. You talk of lazy journalism…..?

25. DugarryIsGod says:

Wolves trying to be noisy neighbours, small club, thick manager; showing a good reflection of the clubs moronic Yam Yam supporters, you could only dream of supporting a decent side.

26. andy says:

Well I’ve read some shit in my time………………..

• wacool6 says:

Wolves are not a big club / West-Brom are bigger than wolves /Birmingham ARE MUCH BIGGER than wolves/ Villa are massive compared to wolves /Newcastle are massive compared to wolves jog on if you think wolves a big club (Ben Ruskin) LMAO

Newcastle Will stay up
      Birmingham Will stay up
      Never will be strudel come January
      Wolves WILL STRUDEL AND GO DOWN

• joe everton says:

This is shite. You have no idea.
        Wolves have won more than WBA in the past, they’re a massively important club in English football’s history. At present, investment is pouring into the club (Molineux revamp and expansion is imminent), we’re constantly improving the squad and we have a great fan base.
        Birmingham are nowhere near as big as Wolves as a club. They arguably have a better team on paper but have they ever been champions of England? Won the FA Cup? No. Can they fill their ground? No.

27. DN HY says:

what media are you referring too when you say the media “love” Newcastle United? every source i have ever came across tends to have them as a comedy/ calamity club – including their own fanzines. the fact that Geordies are diluded and expect greatness is one of football biggest myths, write an article about that next time mate. have you evern sat in the East Stand and listen to the pessemistic drivvel that comes out of fans mouths? thought not, your far too busy crying over the that your beloved Wolves are the second most unglamourous club in the premiership (after Wigan).

Birmingham deserve their right to be out of the relagation spectrum, live with it. they exceeded all expectations last year and to be fair have done decent business in the transfer market this summer… 9th maybe not, but bottom 3? you need a head check.

• Bumpyfunk says:

Sorry mate,

Got so carried away with my BCFC response, didnt have chance to pick apart the NUFC side of things, what a jokey article. Nice to see people getting so wound up ready for Saturday!!

28. Pat says:

I have to say I have enjoyed reading the comments a lot more than the actual article. I have seen a lot of predictions and none I can recall have Newcastle or Birmingham going down and that is what I think he is referring to, but those are just the ones I have seen.

However, by no means have I seen pundits saying how wonderful these two clubs will be in the upcoming season.

As a Wolves fan, I can see how that could get annoying having stayed up last year and we are again relegation favorites. Then I remember this is the same media that fell in love picking Liverpool to win the Premier League last year and know that this is all preseason speculation and anything can happen.

I hope Newcastle and Birmingham both stay up, I like both clubs. Just as long as the Wolves stay up too!

29. Jon says:

You are clearly dreading the start of the season. Why you would have Birmingham down as relegation material is bizarre this season you have the perennial West Brom, and the hopeless Blackpool. That leaves only one space open. It’ll be between – Newcastle, Wolves, Wigan and West Ham for final spot. Birmingham earned their spurs last season.

30. spike says:

Relegation order

Newcastle
    Wolves
    Blackpool

31. Tom Hingley says:

I think people are taking the fact I support Wolves into account too much. Nowhere have I suggested we would not be part of the scrap this year. I am cautiously optimistic about the future of my club, as you may have read in my last article, but I am well aware this season is going to be a battle.

Someone said Blues had “earned their spurs last season” and thus didn’t deserve to be mentioned as relegation candidates this year. It is that very assertion that I am challenging. Teams have done as well, or better than Birmingham in their first season and still gone onto be relegated the next. See Reading, Ipswich etc. Why such sensitivity in suggesting they could be drawn into mix?

Likewise Newcastle. The defensiveness by some on here shows that realism hasn’t set in for some. Yes, my knowledge of the clubs playing staff has some holes, but the wider point stands – Newcastle are in that group of clubs with a very real danger of going down.

Finally, I tend to avoid fanboy arguments, but by no criteria, be it attendances, fan base, honours or tradition can Birmingham City be described as a bigger club than Wolverhampton Wanderers.

32. Lee Robinson says:

Yes Stephen Taylor will be a miss for 2-3 month. Coloccini isnt rapid but with 2 years in the English game will improve, how quick was Steve Bruce?
    Cambell in fitness tests at Arsenal was the 2nd quickest in their squad after Walcott, think that means he is quick enough, also Wenger would have liked him to sign again for this season. Whilst this season will be difficult, Hughton is trying to build squad depth which has been diminishing since Kenny Daglish left Newcastle. Good journalists offer balance, and research the facts!

33. Michael says:

Wolves and The Toon should merge and call themselves historians FC.. The fact is (younger readers take note) Wolves have spent the best part of 30 years in the very bottom leagues such as the old fourth division struggling to get attendances of 2000 at one point… Newcastle only 19 or 20 yrs ago were struggling to get 12000 in there ground, the fact is Wolves and Newcastle will go down this season and MM is still the worst manager the premiershit has ever seen!

34. Fazza1970 says:

Illiterate (vain/vein) and I’ll-informed. This piece HAS to be a piss-take.

35. richie1892 says:

Michael………nice figure completely plucked out of the air,Newcastle’s average crowd has never been below 16k since 1903.ANything else you want to make up and call a fact?

36. Michael says:

1991 it was 16800 (season average) but you did struggle a few individual games pet.. Before that you averaged 21000 for many many years. Its only since the mid 90′s that you suddenly found alot of support due to the chairman and KK (god knows why?)

37. Blue Bomberman says:

Would just like to point out that both Gardener and Michel were bought last Jan for when the likes of Fergussons and Bowyers legs go, Zigic was brought in for Phillips and if we get Clyne then we have a replacement for Carr, so your statement of a major rebuilding effort being on the horizon seems very flat! But hey, your the journalist who keeps up to date with all the “recent” transfer stories and should know all this! Seems to me that a Wolves fan just cant handle the fact that both Brum and Newcastle will most deffinatly finish above their team this season

38. S-s-s-sexy Boy says:

Ah, Newcastle United. Another one of those ‘straight up, straight back down again’ clubs we get to see in the Premiership every now and then. Welcome back to the big league and your place as whipping boys for the duration of your one season back up here. Gotta love it when the Toon comes to town. Guaranteed 3 points for all who play ‘em! :D

39. Michael says:

I do agree with S-s-s Sexy Boy that the toon will be beaten by all… Excluding Wolves and Blackpool who i can see them taking points off. My final league standing would be Blackpool bottom, then Wolves, then Newcastle.. Aye pet.

40. well it all kicks off soon ,so just enjoy it all

41. richie1892 says:

michael are you really as thick as you appear to be or is it all an act? every teams support goes up and down,we could go back further in time when we’ve averaged 40k and 50k and had crowds of 68k.we can all twist facts to suit an arguement…….except not one thing you say has been a fact.
    sexy boy…….one of those straight back up-down teams ?we’ve been relegated from the prem once you knob……………next season will be a struggle we know but if your team is the quality of you 2 then Blackpool will finish above you easily.