THURS, 12PM ET
VIL
THURS, 3PM ET
EVE
WOL

Red Bulls Sign Thierry Henry

Red Bulls Sign Thierry Henry

It’s been rumored for quite some time, and today, it finally happened.

Thierry Henry is now an official member of the New York Red Bulls.

“It is an honor to play for the New York Red Bulls,” Henry said. “I am fully aware of the team’s history and my sole goal during my time here is to help win the club its first championship.

“Knowing Red Bull’s significant commitment to soccer locally and internationally, I am confident that my teammates and I will succeed.”

Henry is the latest European international to jump the pond and sign with a MLS club, joining David Beckham and Freddie Ljungberg.

Henry has had an eventual few months, ranging from his falling out of favor with Barcelona, his blatant hand ball that put Ireland out of and France into the World Cup and his role in that French team’s massive implosion in South Africa.

A fresh start seems to be in order.

So, what do you think?

Is Henry’s move to MLS good for the Red Bulls, good for him or both?

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Major League Soccer, MLS and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Red Bulls Sign Thierry Henry

1. Dave Trotter says:

Looks like I will have to watch the MLS now, somewhat.

2. AdamEdg says:

About time they announced it. Worst kept secret ever.

• Matt says:

haha no kidding. I’ve been 100% certain this would happen since Barca signed Villa before the World Cup. I’ve never been a huge fan of Henry, but I am definitely excited for him signing with Red Bulls. It will be good for both parties

3. Dan says:

Excellent signing of course. I think what really matters now for NY to finally become the winning team that I feel the MLS needs is for them to sign Rafa Marquez, 2 great strikers don’t mean anything if you don’t have a strong midfielder to hand them balls.

Now it’s time for my Galaxy to sign our 3rd DP! Could be 2nd though since Landon is probably not staying in the next month.

• Gary says:

Rafa Marquez plays in either the defensive midfield role or as a centreback, hardly the playmaker role that RBNY needs. Now, if Ljungberg were available, as the grapevine seems to be saying, then that’d be a totally different story.

4. Edward Sasam says:

It’s good for him, the team and the entire league actually…this will definitely boost MLS’s popularity worldwide.

5. boaby says:

You write “Henry has had an eventual few months”. Methinks you meant he “has had an eventFUL few months”.