MON, 3PM ET
AJA
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SCH
SPC

Landon Donovan Arrives At Everton

landon donovan everton Landon Donovan Arrives At Everton

U.S. international star Landon Donovan has arrived in England and made his first public appearance today for Everton, the club he has joined on loan for the next 10 weeks.

Donovan arrived at Goodison Park for the second half of the Toffees FA Cup win against Carlisle. He flew in to Manchester Airport on Saturday morning and then made the journey to Liverpool according to Everton FC. And was later introduced to his Everton teammates by manager David Moyes.

On Monday, Donovan will officially sign his Everton paperwork to secure the loan to Everton and will then join up with Moyes and his Everton teammates for training in preparation for their game against Arsenal next Saturday, which will be televised live in the United States on Setanta Sports at 10am ET.

No word yet on whether Donovan will get his start for Everton against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium, but stay tuned to both this site and our sister site, Major League Soccer Talk, who will be doing a Landon Donovan Watch during his time at Everton.

41 Responses to Landon Donovan Arrives At Everton

1. Rob Usry says:

Landon isn’t the captain, although he should be.

I can’t wait to see what he does in the EPL.

• The Gaffer says:

Good catch, I’ve now fixed that. But I agree with you – he should be.

• sammy says:

Landon arrives on a 10 week loan and you want to make him captain of the club? HAHAHA. Good one guys.

Landycakes is overrated and will crash out miserably just like he has every time he has played in a league other than the MLS.

• Berkeley-B says:

I think you misread the context of Rob’s message and The Gaffer’s reply: Gaff erroneously referred to Donovan’s captaincy of the national team, and Rob corrected him.

Landycakes?…. Really, Sammy?

2. Adrian says:

Anyone who calls him “Landycakes” is probably some pathetic loser who has never played any competitive sport. Donovan should do really well, since he’s a fantastic team player, a great passer with vision, and he’ll finally have quality players all across the pitch. Even the USA National team is not solid all around, at least not with Bob Bradley screwing things up…

3. Dylan says:

Very exciting, too bad the Gunners game is on Setanta. Has he been training? If Jo’s still standing in the corner with his dunce cap on Landy could get a start up front.

4. Nicole says:

Little slow on the uptake, aren’t you, there, Sammy.

They meant captain of the US National Team.

Looking forward to Landon playing at Everton. I’m going to have to order Setanta now. Hope he scores some goals. He’s putting himself on the line here, and yet losers want to lable him “Landycakes.” Whatever. Very few people have the guts to do what he does.

• Terry says:

“Very few people have the guts to do what he does.”

Yes, very few players would dream of limiting themselves to only playing 10 weeks in the best league of the world. Promoted Championship players have more courage than him! Ten weeks means Donovan can sneak in a few good performances and call it a success before team figure him out… or it means Donovan can completely tank and blame it on not having enough time. Donovan can spin it in his favor either way, and he will.

If Donovan doesn’t stick with Everton until the end of the season, then it is either because Donovan isn’t good enough (which I don’t believe yet) or because Donovan doesn’t want the challenge. What does it matter if he misses a few games in the States since the MLS runs a playoff system anyway! I want him to stay and help Everton make the competition for the Europa spots more interesting. I also want to buy Wahl’s new book: The Donovan Experiment.

• Nicole says:

The Galaxy won’t let Donovan do a Beckham-type loan and that’s a fact.

The Galaxy also told him they wouldn’t sell him or loan him unless he signed a new contract; otherwise, he sits for 2 years waiting for his chance. So he signed a new contract so he could go. So yes, it takes guts for him to try to break into an EPL team with only a 10-week opportunity to impress…when everyone knows it takes months to “adapt” to a new league, especially the alleged best league in the world. So yeah, he’s risking everything. Few players would do that.

5. I’d like to see him do well, but didn’t Donovan have a go to Beckham for wanting to go out on loan? If Donovan does well I wouldn’t be suprised if he has the same feeling as Beckham did when he was at Milan. I thought that the MLS season starts in March? Say Donovan plays every game for Everton and then goes back to Galaxy would he not then be jaded for the World Cup?

Some good competition up front at Everton now

• nog@aol.com says:

No, Donovan got pissed because Beckham wanted to get out of playing for LA during the season. He wanted to play for Milan INSTEAD of the Galaxy. Donovan is playing for Everton during the offseason, which really would make almost ANY professional team excited to see that he wants to play even more than what he is being paid for by his original club.

Honestly, this is brilliant. Donovan gets the BEST preparation for the World Cup by playing in the EPL right up until the US faces England in the opening round of the World Cup.

BTW, I used to not care for him, up until this loan deal. The fact that he is coming to Everton to play, starting with Arsenal this weekend, makes me want to root for the little guy with the US.

• Laurence says:

Is Landon’s agent the admin on this thread cos someone keeps rating perfectly good comments 1*? Do people not like being told about their lack of reading ability/football knowledge?

• Nicole says:

No, Donovan did not criticize Beckham for going on loan. His beef with Becks was about his commitment and effort while playing for the Galaxy during 2008. And Landon was right about that. You need to learn the facts before you throw stones.

6. Brian says:

There’s are many reasons he isn’t captain of USMNT, and rightly so. Glad to see so many people are supporting Boca! *sarcasm*

7. dwf says:

Let’s not get carried away. At best, Donovan is a below average player who couldn’t crack the starting lineup in any top tier European team. And, ahem, Everton hardly counts as top tier. Together with that other great MLS talent, David Beckham, Donovan and the LA Galaxy weren’t even able to win that great ‘soccer’ league, the MLS championship, against another MLS ‘soccer’ powerhouse, Real Salt Lake City. (What pretension naming a team after the real Real.

So average is Donovan, when then-Bayern Munich coach Juergen Klinsmann (how’d that work out) asked to sign Donovan, Bayern GM Uli Hoeness (who knows a thing or two about football but maybe not as much about ‘soccer,’ nixed the notion, saying Donovan wasn’t even good enough make Bayern’s amateur team. Cold shot, but true.

True, Donovan might be the best American ‘soccer’ player. But that sad assessment pretty much sums up the USA’s World Cup chances, where England ought handily dispatch a sorry USA ‘soccer’ team. Unless, of course, in the words of sports caster Al Michaels, ‘do you believe in miracles?’

No shot. As a realist, I don’t believe in ‘soccer’ certainly not in Landon Donovan. I do believe in football, though.

• nikesb says:

someone sipping on that HATERade…….btw he shouldn’t be captain of the US team for obvious reasons

• ovalball says:

No problem with the Donovan criticism, but enough with the ‘soccer’ crap. We understand it’s ‘football’, but we’re stuck with our culture, as are you.

Go chew on some spotted dick.

• dwf says:

By your culture I assume you mean your ‘spotted dick.’ I’ll leave that, and ‘soccer,’ to you and your ilk. You seem to know a lot about that.

And here I thought this was a football, er, sorry, ‘soccer’ blog.

Sunlight must hurt. Back you go under your dark, dank rock.

• ovalball says:

Relax. That was a joke…a cultural point. Sorry I didn’t put a smiley after it. (And no, that’s not sarcasm.)

I just don’t get the whole “soccer”/”football” thing which, to me, you seemed to be wearing out. We are creatures of our environment/culture and there is nothing any of us can do about it. We understand each other nonetheless and shouldn’t waste time sweating the details.

So let’s just let it go and discuss the important stuff, whether it’s Donovan’s talent or lack thereof, or how we’re going to kick England’s sorry ass all over the pitch next summer. :-D ;-)

• Nicole says:

You are sorely mistaken on so many things. But I’ll address just one: the Uli Hoeness comment.

Uli had a beef with Klinsmann and Donovan got caught in the middle. The best way to get a dig at Klinsmann was to have a go at Donovan. And that’s what he did. And anyone with any football knowledge knows that. His comments had nothing to do with LD in reality. Anyon with a soccer brain knows Landon is better than the reserve team. Get your head out, mate.

• marcus in California says:

What do say now? Interesting how we have not seen any of your posts on the subject of Landon Donovan the past couple of weeks? Perhaps the standing ovation from Everton’s fan’s might have something to do with it?

8. Fate says:

yawn @ dwf. You are a typical american hating snob. I call the sport soccer because I am an American, and I am not embarrassed of that fact. So step off, seriously, because people like you are pathetic

Also, contrary to your claims that Donovan is a “below mediocre player” (which is not true. And I am not a Donovan fanboy.), I do believe he did quite well during his short spell at bayern munich. Last time I checked he scored a good number of goals in the games he played, and had a positive impact on the team overall. Additionally, one player does not make for an entire team, and if you think that Donovan would have to carry the Galaxy to a MLS championship year in and year out in order to legitimize his abilities as a player than you are just delusional.

Shrug, I shouldn’t even be responding to this troll.

• dwf says:

And here I thought football was the ‘world’s game’ that transcends nationality, bridges politics, and unites peoples. Soccer, it seems is dividing us. Small mindedness, name calling, and low brow assumptions are flying all over the place. Duck! Or you might get hit in the head, where other people’s knee caps are.

FYI: I’m an American. Philly, to be exact. You know, the city that gave you outliers in the rest of the country your basis constitutional rights, including the right of free speech and freedom of thought, including in matters of sports. To us, booing Santa Claus and throwing snowballs at Santa at NFL ‘Iggles’ games is an unalienable right we’re damn proud of. So back off, suckers!

Sorry, gotta go get my cheese steak sandwich! Time for real football, Ealges/Cowboys! As we say in ‘Iggle’ nation: How ’bout them Cowgirls?!

Look! Santa’s got a black eye! Duck!! Snowballs incoming!

Long live sport!!

9. scott smith says:

Donavan is over rated. Could not make it in Germany. Plays in a college league in America. Bench warmer for Everton.

• Peter says:

You are just an ignorant idiot. Sure, Dondovan didn’t make it withe Leverkusen or Bayern Munich but he isn’t overrated. He is one of the best talents the USA have ever had. Also, he does not play for a college league as the MLS contains professioanl full-time players. The Blue Square Premier contains part-timers but you wouldn’t say it was a college league would you?

BTW: I’m English and am sick of the all ignorant fellow englishmen who know nothing about the USA team spouting their mouths about rubbish. Try watching some actual Soccer for a change. And yes I don’t care that it’s called soccer as soccer is used all around the world from Australia to South America so get a life idiots.

• eplnfl says:

Thank you Peter. Donovan has grown up and the only thing he lacks is size. Hats off to David Moyes who has universal acclaim as a bright manager to figure out that Donovan is THE player to get Everton by this season which has been so impacted by injury.

This will be a win for Everton, for Donovan, for MLS, for the USMNT, for the fans. Could not be happier!

10. marcus in California says:

After reading numerous UK discussion boards, it is becoming apparent to me that many fans in Europe are unfamiliar with Donovan. That is, they have not really seem him actually play in many competitions… Unfortunately, the knee-jerk reaction is to be dismissive… But that is silly and short-sighted.

This guy has basically carried the USA in some major games (victories, that is…) Portugal vs. USA 2002, Spain vs. USA, etc. Moreover, the only team to get a tie out of Italy in the last world cup? The USA… And again, basically on Donovan’s play.

Sorry naysayers, but Donovan is going to silence your negative chatter.

The goal he scored against Brazil to put the USA up 2-0 in the Confederations Cup (see Youtube link here) sums up strengths: Very, very fast, reads the game extremely well, and a good touch and shot…

I have seen him play up close in against FC Barcelona in LA… Trust me, Donovan can play with the top tier world players… I’m hoping his play silences so much of the silly knee-jerk reactions I’m seeing from the English…

And no, I don’t think the USA is anywhere near the talent level of England… Soccer in the USA is about the 5th most popular professional sport. It’s a growing, but extremely minor sport here. We are, however, beginning to produce players that can compete in your league… Don’t be threatened by it… The USA is simply starting to embrace the world’s game – and that’s a good thing.

11. zhe fulano says:

I am amazed at the chronic arrogance from across the pond. I can accept that MLS is not at EPL or La Liga level, but that hasn’t stopped Mr. Donovan from turning in some phenomenol games at the international level against international power house teams loaded with acknowledged stars. His 2002 World Cup performance got the soccer world’s attention. Today, seven and a half years later he is playing better than ever. Regardless, some folks will never give LD proper respect – no matter how well he plays – simply because he does not play in Europe. No fan of USMNT should worry about this. Read on.

Everton is a ten week loan. It is not an opportunity, but a fraction of one. It took Clint Dempsey a full year before he really settled in at Fulham, where he has absolutely excelled. Luca Toni had to put in time playing second division before he became first division material. Is Donovan supposed to dazzle the world in ten weeks? If Everton works out for Donovan…great. If it doesn’t, it won’t bother me a bit. Why? Because he’ll continue leading the U.S. team to victories over the Portugals and Spains of the world for another world cup or two.

Now, to the real point. Personally, I don’t think the Everton loan has anything to do with an interest in moving to Europe. Donovan just signed a nice four year contract with MLS. I’d rather see him in Spain or Italy than EPL. His style of play better lends itself to the former. All of this helps shed light on the real motivation driving all of this: to gain ten weeks of valuable experience to better prepare for game 1 in South Africa. Anything/everything else (like an EPL offer) would be “gravy.”

By the way, the term “soccer” came to the U.S. from England.

12. Felix says:

When are idiots going to realize the reason Bayern didn’t buy Donovan was due to PRI$E? MLS did not want to let Donovan go and rightly so. If Bayern were to retain Donovan on their squad they were going to have to pay major coin a year prior to his contract running out in LA.

Donovan is a damn good player that can turn a game around quick if he turns on the jets. Everton know he is an international veteran and is a player that can make a difference. Hope he drops the hammer on England and shows what he can do and not disappear.

• You obviously did not watch him at Bayern.

I wish people who don’t watch the Bundesliga would stop pretending like Donovan was somehow successful there. While I think the above poster is a jerk to lecture us about soccer/football terminology, Ule Hoeness is a good authority on what makes a quality player and he observed Donovan’s work ethic in training and off the ball movements were not up to a Bundesliga standard.

Bayern’s spacing and tactics went to hell in a handbasket when he was on the pitch. This having been said, I really hope he makes it at Everton, but having watched him at both Leverkusen and Bayern, I just don’t believe he has the mental fortitude of some of his current and former National Teammates who have fought their way against the odds to be relevant at European clubs.

• Nicole says:

You’re wrong. I watched him play at Bayern. Every game. He held his own.

I also watched him train there. He was better than fine. You’re just making up stuff about his work ethic and Uli Hoeness. (While refusing to acknowledge the real reason Uli made comments about Landon on the reserve team.) He was one of the most fit players they had and that’s a fact. And he worked hard.

13. BluCanuck says:

Good luck Donovan lad. We need all the help we can get right now and I for one believe you can supply the goods.

14. zhe fulano says:

(1) A good coach will understand what Donovan (or any other player) brings to the table and how to use it to his side’s full advantage.
    (2) To his credit, Moyes has acknowledged that there are more stars to come from MLS. I think he understands the value of MLS – neither overstating nor understating same.
    (3) Here’s to Donovan and Moyes helping each other out.

15. I’d like to see him do well but I can’t but help feel that he’s just going to play a super sub role if any. If Saha and Yakubu are fit i’d prefer to put them two up top considering Jo has gone AWOL now! I don’t doubt his effort or anything but there is a HUGE gap in talent between the MLS and premiership and I don’t mean that in any disrespective way its just reality.

16. edgar says:

Good comment Zhe Fulano. I agree with most of what you say. I would though, like to see Donovan play in the EPL. I’ve seen him play many of times. I used to go watch him play for the Galaxy all the time before a certain Mr. David Beckham arrived. Now I just don’t try. I’ve even seen Everton play here at my Pizza Hut Park in Texas. I think and hope that he can put in a shift at Goodison Park for the Toffees. Donovan is the best outfield player to come out of America. USMNT all-time goal scorer. His performance with Charlie Davies this summer was outstanding! Now, he will suffer bc of Davies’s abscence. WC qualifying round in Mexico at Azteca, the goal that Davies scored was set up by? Yes Donovan and he had the Swine Flu! What else do we need to say? He is quality whether you guys like it or not. Its just a question of time if he can adjust to the English game. I’m hoping only that he doesn’t get an injury. Come on Donovan!!!

17. Jake says:

Donovan is the best American and best MLS player. And there have been a few MLS players in the EPL. So how can Donovan be automatically assumed as worst? Shouldn’t be be assumed as the best? I hope he owns at Everton and shuts everyone else up.

• marcus in California says:

Thanks, Jake. This was essentially my point. As a long-time viewer of USA national games, Landon Donovan is arguably the best field player we’ve had since Claudia Reyna and John O’Brien… Both USA players that did well in European leagues.

Landon is a star player… he is not an every day MLS’er. The difference in in quality – to paraphrase an English poster above – is HUGE.

I’m looking forwards to him making his mark…

18. kelly says:

donovan you are the best player of the usa……