Liverpool FC's Ticket Policy: It's Not Fair

I never knew it would be so difficult to get tickets to a match at Anfield. Sure, I’ve been following the game of football since I was the age of 7 or 8 — 30 odd years now — but here’s what I found when I tried to get a ticket to the Champions League match in late November against PSV Eindhoven.Although I’m not a Liverpool supporter, it’s hard not to admire the club especially after I grew up in the UK during my formative years of the late 70s and early 80s. Liverpool was the greatest team in the world at the time.In anticipation of my first visit to Anfield, I purchased a Liverpool FC Fancard more than a year ago. However when details of how to purchase a ticket were announced late last week, I was disappointed to see that you could only buy a ticket to the PSV match if you had already purchased a ticket on the same fancard to the Galatasaray match from late September or the Bordeaux match from this past week.For someone like me, who doesn’t live in the UK, the ticket policy makes it almost impossible to see Liverpool play. Sure, I completely understand that Liverpool is trying to reward those loyal supporters who go to many matches, but in this case, Liverpool has already qualified for the next round of the Champions League so the match against PSV is virtually meaningless.The irony is that my Aunt lives less than half a mile from Anfield and this may be my first and last chance to see a match at Anfield before the club moves to a new stadium. However, I’ll try to visit the Anfield Stadium Tour to at least capture the history and excitement of visiting one of the greatest clubs in English football history.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Liverpool FC's Ticket Policy: It's Not Fair

1. The Brush says:

I sympathise with your difficulty. Unfortunatly the capacity is reduced for Champions League games due to UEFA stipulations. The ground is simply too small to accommodate those who want to watch the team play. I suggest you go and pick up a ‘spare’. There are always a number of tickets to be had outside the ground (at a price). You could even try the ticket office for the odd chance of a returned ticket.

2. ReReformed says:

I have been to all the home European games this season so why should I have to battle with you to get a ticket to see the PSV game? If its such a meaningless game like you say then you will still be able to get a ticket when they go on general sale if there is less interest.

3. Anonymous says:

“….the greatest team in the world” – err, how many times has an English club won the Intercontinental Cup?

4. Anonymous says:

Meaningless? No Liverpool game is meaningless. It is a joy and an honour to be at Anfield, especially on European nights. PSV are a great team, they were semi-finalists 2 years ago and the game will contest the winner of the group, and both sides will play attacking, free flowing football. The Reading games in the Carling Cup and the Premiership both went to general sale, why didn’t you get tickets to one or both of those?

5. Anonymous says:

Wouldnt worry too much mate. There are always spares going for matches. try using forums like koptalk.com or http://www.redandwhitekop.com/ always a chance of a spare on these sites. Alternatively try ringing the late availability ticket line (number on lfc website).

6. Anonymous says:

There’s always razorgator, if you’re made of money…

7. Anonymous says:

It’s only because it’s a Champions League game. I’ve had no problem getting tickets for Liverpool EPL games stateside by calling the credit card line.

8. The Brush says:

To the annoymous bitter who mentioned the Intercontintal Cup. For years it was simply ignored or played in a half hearted fashion. A measure of a competion’s importance is the ability of fans to list winners. Who apart from an anorak could cite the most successful Intercontinental Cup winners? Whereas the European Cup er… Real Madrid 9, AC milan 6 and of course Liverpool 5. Oh, and a couple of smaller clubs who have won it once ot twice.

9. James Ryddel says:

Got to Old Trafford and see some decent football, I’m sure you’d get a ticket for OT… :0)

10. Anonymous says:

I also have problems getting tickets, and I wonder why you bother posting when you get so called fans with their smart asnswers, I sympathise with you, and supporters of liverpool from aboard, are no less fans, just because
    we are not from liverpool.

Gerry from Ireland

11. Anfield Online says:

Sorry to hear about your difficulty, but we get emails every day from supporters who live within a 5 mile radius unable to get tickets.

No game is meaningless either.

A lot of people want to see the 5 times Champions of Europe and England’s most succesful club.

12. The Gaffer says:

All,

Thanks for your feedback. Just to clarify a few things, the match is meaningless in terms that Liverpool has already qualified for the next round of the Champions League.

Yes, the first place position in the group hasn’t been determined yet. And yes, every match at Anfield, I’m sure, is a pleasure to watch and experience the passion of the Reds fans.

All I’m saying is that I believe the ticket policy is unfair. No other club I contacted has a requirement that you have past purchases on your fancard for recent matches in order to purchase tickets for a match (in this case, against PSV).

I appreciate the information about the tips on how to obtain tickets (such as the late availability ticket hotline). The challenge is that I’m preparing my travel schedule from the U.S. to England a couple of weeks in advance, so it’s hard for me to be near Liverpool unless I know – for sure – that a ticket would be available.

13. Anonymous says:

Well for me its near impossible to watch the game at Anfield and to my aim now is to catch a game there before LFC moves. The PSV game may be meaningless in terms of qualification but to be there with the pleasure to watch it in one of the european nights is something to cherish. But i do think LFC should change its ticketing policy. YNWA =D

14. Anonymous says:

the brush

The Intercontinental Cup may well be treated with disdain by ignoramuses in certain parts but not in South America, a continent that has produced so many great players/teams & won half the World Cups ever played. It is only relatively recently that the top Latin American players ply their trade exclusively with clubs based in Europe. Flamengo in Tokyo, ring a bell?

15. Anonymous says:

The ticket policy is unfair. Surely the most fair is a first come first serve basis? tickets go on sale at 8.30 for example, and if those who’ve been to previous matches are such dedicated supporters they should be there along with everyone else at that time for tix with an equal chance of getting it. Surely these prerequisites to get tickets make it harder for new next generation fans to get ever get tickets and ever get qualifying matches on their fancard. Rubbish