Not long ago, World Soccer Talk brought up five potential rule changes to soccer. By no means are these proposed by FIFA or any domestic league. In fact, those leagues look fairly set in stone.
However, every now and then, rumors start to stir up over how the governing bodies could modify the rule book. Small things like cooling breaks are one thing. Yet, instances of reducing the length of games to deciding major fixtures with golden goal appear to be just one step away.
This is not to say all changes are bad. In fact, there is an argument to be made that adding the number of substitutions in the games makes them more exciting. As seen in the English Premier League, teams now have access to five substitutions as opposed to the three from previous years. This allows players to be at full fitness, hypothetically making games more even and balanced. It also lessens the likely for injury, which continues to be a problem in the sport.
Then, there is something like VAR. Everyone loves to hate Video Assistant Referees because they are beyond picky when it comes to calls. Could this be changed in some way? Totally removed? Everyone has a take in that regard.
Rule changes in soccer
We want to know if you would change anything about the current rule set of soccer in the world. There are often small differences for each league. Yet, your favorite league may only allow three substitutions, for example.
What are the biggest changes, or smallest changes, for that matter, that you would make to soccer? Or, perhaps you think the game, as it is right now, is perfect. Hard to argue with how exciting games can be. Refereeing issues and controversy may just be part of it!
Use the comment section below to let us know.
PHOTO: Patrick Goosen/Orange Pictures/BSR Agency/Getty Images
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Man Utd agree to sign Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro
- Chelsea boss Tuchel given one-game ban after Spurs red card
- Man Utd icon Ferguson lauds Giggs’ temperament’ at assault trial
- EPL commentators on NBC: Aug. 20 to 22
- CBS renews UEFA Champions League rights through 2029/30
- Ten Hag demands attitude change from Man Utd
- Dortmund chairman rules out move for Cristiano Ronaldo
- Injured Kante sidelined for several weeks: Tuchel
- Arteta ‘confident’ Saka will sign new Arsenal contract
- Urawa crush JDT to advance in Asian Champions League