Rotterdam (Netherlands) (AFP) – Memphis Depay missed a last-minute penalty as the Netherlands drew 2-2 with Poland in the Nations League on Saturday in a game where the hosts trailed 2-0 at one stage.
Poland defender Matty Cash was penalised for handball as the clock hit 90 minutes.
However, Depay blasted his penalty high and wide.
The Dutch went into Saturday’s match in Rotterdam with a 100% record after a 4-1 win over Belgium and a late 2-1 victory against Wales.
Poland had beaten Wales 2-1 but suffered a 6-1 rout at the hands of Belgium.
After soaking up early pressure, the Poles opened the scoring after 18 minutes on Saturday.
Nicola Zalewski crossed from right where Aston Villa full-back Cash was on hand to slot the ball past Mark Flekken in the Dutch goal.
Five minutes into the second period, Poland were 2-0 ahead.
Krzysztof Piatek played a fine ball over the top to allow Przemyslaw Frankowski to break free of the Dutch offside trap.
He unselfishly squared the ball for Piotr Zielinski to tap in with the goal standing after a VAR review.
However, the Dutch roared back with two goals in three minutes with Davy Klaassen scoring from close range and Denzel Dumfries equalising from a Depay pass.
After Depay fluffed his penalty chance, he had the opportunity to quickly make amends but goalkeeper Lukasz Skorupski pulled off a sensational stoppage-time save.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- EPL commentator schedule: October 1-3
- American businessman reportedly in talks to buy Everton
- Alfie Haaland suggests his son could soon leave Manchester City
- How DAZN acquiring Eleven Sports affects soccer fans in USA
- Where to find Puebla vs. América on US TV
- Where to find Hull City vs. Luton Town on US TV
- Iran national team stands in solidarity after nation erupts in turmoil
- USWNT roster announced ahead of October friendlies
- 2023 Women’s World Cup tickets go on sale from October 6th
- MLS killed the TV star: A farewell to MLS regional broadcast crews