Wembley (United Kingdom) (AFP) – Germany suffered a huge blow just moments before Sunday’s Euro 2022 final against England as captain and top goalscorer Alexandra Popp was ruled out by an injury in the warm-up.
The Wolfsburg striker had scored six goals in five games on route to the final to match the all-time record for goals in a single women’s European Championship.
“Alex Popp has suffered muscular problems in the warm-up,” the German football federation tweeted. “Lea Schueller replaces her in the starting XI.”
Popp had initially been included in Martina Voss-Tecklenburg’s starting line-up for the final at Wembley.
However, the 31-year-old’s injury curse with the European Championship struck again after missing Euro 2013 and 2017.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season