Madrid (AFP) – Barcelona president Joan Laporta has said that he hopes Lionel Messi will end his career “in a Barca shirt”.
Messi left the Camp Nou for Paris Saint-Germain last summer, after 17 years in the Barcelona first team, as the Catalan giants struggled with financial problems.
But Laporta is hopeful that the 35-year-old will be able to return to Barca before he hangs up his boots.
“Messi’s time at Barca didn’t end as we all would’ve liked,” he told Spanish press during the club’s pre-season tour of the United States.
“I believe that Barca have a moral debt towards Leo Messi. We would like the end of his career to come in a Barca shirt, being applauded at all the grounds, wherever he goes.”
Laporta clarified that “nothing has been discussed” with Messi, who has one season left on his PSG contract with an option for an extra year.
“It was a temporary end (to his Barca career) because I believe that we will make this wish a reality,” he added.
Messi scored only 11 goals in all competitions in his debut PSG campaign, the first time he had scored fewer than 30 in a season since 2007-08.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Wolves sign Nunes from Sporting Lisbon in club-record deal
- MLS Earthquakes name US assistant Gonzalez as coach
- What it’s like watching the Premier League from Hawaii
- Ineos billionaire Ratcliffe ‘potential buyer’ of Man Utd
- Mendy rape accuser tells UK court she tried to fight off footballer
- Man Utd legend Giggs cites disciplinary record in assault trial
- Christian Pulisic’s ominous, but necessary, move to Man United
- Sevilla sign youngster Nianzou from Bayern
- Ronaldo cautioned by police after allegedly slapping phone from fan’s hand
- PSG defender Kehrer joins West Ham