Marseille (AFP) – French Ligue 1 giants Marseille on Monday named ex-Croatia international Igor Tudor as their new coach to replace Jorge Sampaoli.
Tudor coached Verona in Serie A last season, leading the club to ninth in Italy’s top flight. He stepped down after failing to come to an agreement on how to build on that impressive finish.
“I think we’ve found in Igor Tudor what we need,” Marseille’s American owner Frank McCourt said in a statement.
“I’m delighted to welcome him into our club. Igor is a combative man, as he has shown throughout his career, be it as a coach or player.”
Argentina’s Sampaoli quit Marseille earlier this month because of what he said were differences with the club’s hierarchy after guiding them back to the Champions League
Tudor spent the majority of his playing career at Juventus and won 55 caps for Croatia, featuring in the 1998 and 2006 World Cups as well as the 2004 Euros.
The 44-year-old kicked off his coaching career with home club Hajduk Split in 2013, before bouncing from PAOK in Greece to Karabukspor and Galatasaray in Turkey and then on to Udinese in Italy before taking in a second stint in Split followed by an assistant role with Juventus and finally taking the reins of Verona last season.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season