London (AFP) – Petr Cech became the latest member of Chelsea’s senior management team to leave the club on Monday following a change in ownership.
Long-serving chairman Bruce Buck and director Marina Granovskaia also departed Stamford Bridge last week in the wake of a takeover from American Todd Boehly’s consortium.
Cech, who won 13 major honours with Chelsea during his playing career as a goalkeeper, became the club’s technical and performance advisor when he retired in 2019.
“It has been a huge privilege to perform this role at Chelsea for the past three years,” Cech said in a club statement.
“With the club under new ownership, I feel now is the right time for me to step aside.
“I am pleased that the club is now in an excellent position with the new owners, and I am confident of its future success both on and off the pitch.”
Boehly has been installed as Chelsea’s new chairman and taken over as interim sporting director.
“Petr is an important member of the Chelsea family,” said Boehly.
“We understand his decision to step away and thank him for his contributions as an advisor and his commitment to the club and to our community.”
Cech’s departure puts Boehly under even more scrutiny during what is expected to be a hectic transfer window for the Blues.
Chelsea, who finished third in the Premier League last season, have been linked with moves for Juventus defender Matthijs de Ligt, Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling and Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele.
The club’s record signing, Romelu Lukaku, is reportedly set to rejoin Inter Milan on loan just one year after making a move in the opposite direction for £98 million ($120 million).
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ‘Game-changer’ Bynoe-Gittens propels Dortmund to comeback win over Freiburg
- Osasuna stun Sevilla in Liga opener
- Ismaily strikes late to rescue Ligue 1 draw for Lille
- Barcelona finally register Lewandowski on eve of new season
- English teen Bynoe-Gittens propels Dortmund to 3-1 comeback win over Freiburg
- Willian leaves Corinthians following death threats
- Seven-time winner Messi misses out on Ballon d’Or nomination
- EPL commentators on NBC: August 13 to 15
- Rush from potential tenants for Cruyff’s boyhood home
- Tottenham boss Conte relishing heated Chelsea challenge