Leeds (United Kingdom) (AFP) – England came from behind to thump European champions the Netherlands 5-1 on Friday in a friendly as they prepare to host the women’s Euro 2022.
Sarina Wiegman’s side produced a brilliant performance at Elland Road to lay down a marker ahead of the tournament which gets underway on July 6.
Lieke Martens headed the Dutch ahead midway through the first half, before star full-back Lucy Bronze levelled for the home team.
Sherida Spitse missed a penalty for the Netherlands early in the second period and the visitors then imploded.
Beth Mead put England in front for the first time and her follow substitute Ella Toone added a third.
Lauren Hemp pounced on a rebound to score just two minutes later and Mead doubled her personal tally late on to the delight of the crowd.
England will open the European Championship against Austria at Old Trafford in 11 days’ time, before further Group A matches against a strong Norway side and Northern Ireland.
The Dutch kick off their title defence against Sweden in Sheffield and also face Switzerland and Portugal in Group C.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Wolves sign Nunes from Sporting Lisbon in club-record deal
- MLS Earthquakes name US assistant Gonzalez as coach
- What it’s like watching the Premier League from Hawaii
- Ineos billionaire Ratcliffe ‘potential buyer’ of Man Utd
- Mendy rape accuser tells UK court she tried to fight off footballer
- Man Utd legend Giggs cites disciplinary record in assault trial
- Christian Pulisic’s ominous, but necessary, move to Man United
- Sevilla sign youngster Nianzou from Bayern
- Ronaldo cautioned by police after allegedly slapping phone from fan’s hand
- PSG defender Kehrer joins West Ham