Lyon (AFP) – Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas said on Tuesday a deal had been struck for US businessman John Textor to complete a takeover of the seven-time French champions.
Eagle Football Holdings, a sports investment vehicle controlled by Crystal Palace shareholder Textor, is set to acquire a majority stake in the Ligue 1 club.
“We agreed, we shook hands overnight via video and at 3 a.m. Monday everything was signed,” said Aulas, adding that the board of directors had approved the deal.
The agreement will see Textor buy out minority shareholders Pathe and IDG Capital — who hold 19.36 percent and 19.85 percent stakes respectively — and a gradual sale of Holnest, the family holding company of Aulas, which holds 27.72 percent of the capital.
Aulas said he would continue as club president for “at least three years”.
“John wanted me to stay… it wasn’t an obligation but a wish of the fans” and of all those involved in the club, he said.
“OL… has stretched its wings beyond the borders, it has got a brand known everywhere, it is the 20th club in the world, so why would I show up and want to change any of that,” Textor told reporters.
“I believe in dreaming with your eyes wide open. Jean-Michel and I really want championship titles and winning Europe.”
Textor also owns Brazilian top-flight club Botafogo and Belgian second-division side RWD Molenbeek.
Lyon missed out on European competition for the second time in three seasons after finishing the 2021-22 campaign in eighth place under Peter Bosz.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Bale confirms MLS move to Los Angeles FC
- Bale heading to MLS with LAFC move: reports
- Where to find Austin FC vs. FC Dallas on US TV
- Nominate best soccer coverage across video, audio & written word
- Forest sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Union Berlin
- Where to find River Plate vs. Lanús on US TV
- Where to find USWNT vs. Colombia on US TV
- World Cup tickets on sale and in high demand
- Euro hosts England thrash reigning champions Netherlands in friendly
- Man City agree deal for Leeds midfielder Phillips: reports