London (AFP) – Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah and Chelsea women’s striker Sam Kerr both achieved a notable double on Thursday as they were named the player of the year by England’s Professional Footballers Association after they each won corresponding awards from sportswriters.
Salah topped a poll of his fellow players ahead of Belgian star Kevin De Bruyne, who had won for the previous two years and was again a key member of the Manchester City team which took the Premier League title ahead of Liverpool by just a single point.
Salah was named PFA player of the year for a second time, having previously won in 2018, after a season where Liverpool lifted both the League Cup and FA Cup, while also getting to the Champions League final where they lost to Real Madrid.
Egypt striker Salah finished as the Premier League’s joint top-scorer alongside Tottenham’s Son Heung-min with 23 goals.
“It’s a great honour to win a trophy, individual or collective,” Salah said.
The 29-year-old, who has confirmed he will see out his contract at Liverpool next season while remaining non-committal on his future at Anfield beyond 2023, added: “This one is a really good one to win, especially because it’s voted by players.”
Salah was also named footballer of the year by England’s Football Writers’ Association in April, with Kerr, 28, winning the equivalent women’s award.
The Australian was honoured again Thursday after her 20 goals made her the top scorer in the FA Women’s Super League, with the striker helping Chelsea complete a domestic double.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- QPR showing signs of progress under Michael Beale
- Problems continue to pile up for Spanish soccer
- Rafa Benitez reportedly on Nottingham Forest’s radar
- Umbro releases alternative World Cup kit collection
- Cristiano Ronaldo expected to leave Manchester United in January
- Real’s Perez hopes Super League closes gap with US sports
- Soccer player misses game due to Xbox injury
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Rangers on US TV
- Where to find Inter vs. Barcelona on US TV
- Where to find Frankfurt vs. Spurs on US TV