Seoul (AFP) – Tottenham Hotspur star Son Heung-min celebrated his 100th international match with a picturesque goal from a free kick on Monday as he led South Korea to a 2-0 victory over 10-man Chile in a tune-up for the World Cup.
The East Asian country’s other Premier League player, Hwang Hee-chan of Wolverhampton Wanderers, scored South Korea’s other goal at the Daejeon World Cup Stadium.
South Korea survived some dicey moments early on, turning the ball over deep in their own zone as Chile pressed forward.
But Hwang broke through on 12 minutes, with a well-struck right-footer finding the top right corner past Fernando de Paul.
Chile then fought back with a few dangerous chances past the half-hour mark. Marcelino Nunez and Diego Valencia each just missed the net with close-range attempts.
Just before halftime, Benjamin Brereton Diaz nearly levelled with a low shot that rolled wide of the left post.
Chile failed to build on that momentum in the second half, with defender Alex Ibacache sent off following a second yellow card on 52 minutes.
Despite being a man down, the visitors pushed hard for an equaliser, with a Brereton Diaz header nullified by an offside call at the hour mark.
Son almost doubled South Korea’s lead on 66 minutes but his low left-footed attempt from the left side of the box rolled just wide of the far post.
Seven minutes later, Brereton Diaz tried to respond for Chile, but his promising foray into the box only resulted in a weak shot turned aside by Kim Seung-gyu.
Son, the 16th South Korean to hit the century mark in international caps, eventually gave the 42,000 fans something to cheer about with a gorgeous free kick from just outside the box to seal the win.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Belgium golden generation’s last chance at winning World Cup
- Dortmund swoop for Haller to fill Haaland void
- Frenkie de Jong not for sale, says Barca chief
- Putellas loss strikes blow to Spain’s hopes of Euro 2022 breakthrough
- Why soccer needs better referees, not more technology
- Where to find England vs. Austria on US TV
- Hegerberg’s return for Norway sprinkles stardust on Euro 2022
- England aim to launch women’s Euro 2022 in style
- Spain star Putellas to miss Euro 2022 with knee injury
- Fantasy Premier League is live; Join our private league for 2022/23