Seoul (AFP) – Son Heung-min was awarded South Korea’s highest sporting honour on Thursday after the Tottenham forward became the first Asian player to win the Premier League Golden Boot.
The 29-year-old was given the Cheongnyong Medal by President Yoon Suk-yeol before South Korea’s friendly against Brazil at Seoul World Cup Stadium.
Son, dressed in a dark suit, walked into the packed stadium as the crowd cheered, with a banner reading: “We are living in the era of world-class Son Heung-min.”
Spectators roared as the president clipped the medal on Son’s chest.
Previous recipients of the medal include two-time Olympic gold medallist figure skater Yuna Kim and golfer Pak Se-ri.
Son last month shared the Golden Boot with Mohamed Salah of Liverpool after both scored 23 Premier League goals in the recently concluded season.
Yoon had congratulated Son for his achievement on Facebook, calling it a “joyous occasion to be celebrated by the entire Asian football community”.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Napoli on the up after hot start, big transfer deals
- Werner says Leipzig can still ‘annoy’ Bayern despite early season stumbles
- Liverpool clash threatens more misery for Man Utd
- Barcelona looking for ‘patience’ despite spending spree
- Will Mbappe and Neymar flourish together this season for PSG?
- Qatar buses feel the World Cup heat in tournament test
- Scamacca opens West Ham account in Conference League win
- Mbappé and Neymar feud adds heat to PSG vs Lille clash
- Conte not expecting touchline ban after Tuchel clash
- Mendy rape accuser details alleged attack in locked room at his mansion