England’s 2021/22 Premier League season was the second most-watched in US history, according to data provided by NBC Sports. The most-watched season was 2015-16 when Leicester City won the title.
It’s a season where the title race, European qualification and relegation battle were decided on the final day. From the top to the bottom of the Premier League, 2021/22 was filled with plenty of talking points.
Averaging 507,000 viewers per game, the Premier League viewing average is 21% better than last season (414,000). Furthermore, NBC Sports have presented 28 of the 30 most-watched live Premier League matches ever in the US. across all platforms.
For the ninth consecutive year, all games were presented live on the final day of the season. The total audience numbers (TAD) for the season finale on Sunday, May 22 matched 2019’s record number. The 2022 finale generated a total audience delivery of 2.2 million viewers across all platforms.
Record breaking numbers for Premier League
For instance, Sunday’s Manchester City-Aston Villa match on NBC and Peacock posted a TAD of 955,000 viewers. It marked the most-watched season finale match on record. Meanwhile, Liverpool-Wolverhampton Wolves on USA Network was the most-watched s cable season finale match on record (681,000).
During the 2021/22 season, other highlights include the Liverpool-Chelsea match on NBC and Peacock on August 28. That one match delivered a TAD of more than 1.4 million viewers to rank as the most watched live Premier League match in U.S. history. Similarly, USA Network’s Manchester City-Liverpool on April 10 is the second most watched cable match in U.S. history.
Photo credit: Nick Potts – PA Images / Contributor via Getty Images
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- LAFC confirms 12-month Bale deal with options through 2024
- Barcelona unveils 2022/23 away kit to honor Olympics anniversary
- Favre new Nice coach as Galtier in PSG talks
- Gabriel Jesus signing helps Mikel Arteta’s aims at Arsenal
- Turkish Süper Lig rights renewed by beIN SPORTS
- Spain without injured Hermoso for Euro 2022
- Cech joins list of Chelsea departures
- USA England World Cup tickets going fast
- A Review of ‘A Woman’s Game’ book by Suzanne Wrack
- Qatar warns against unauthorised use of World Cup logo on car plates