Milan (AFP) – Leonardo Spinazzola will made his return to the Italy squad after Roberto Mancini named him among 39 players for the European champions’ ‘Finalissima‘ clash with Argentina and the Nations League.
Roma full-back Spinazzola was one of the stars of Italy’s charge to Euro 2020 glory but ruptured his Achilles tendon during his side’s 2-1 quarter-final win over Belgium.
The injury left the 29-year-old out for almost the entire season, only returning to action for Roma earlier this month, and will join the squad after the Conference League final on Wednesday.
He features in the squad alongside Giorgio Chiellini who will play his final game for the national team when they face Copa America winners Argentina at Wembley on June 1.
Chiellini, 37, announced in April that he would be retiring from international football this summer after Italy failed to qualify for the World Cup after being dumped out in the play-offs by North Macedonia.
Three days after captain Chiellini waves goodbye Italy will then begin their Nations League campaign with the visit of Germany to Bologna, before they host Hungary in Cesena on June 7.
Italy then take on beaten Euro finalists England in Wolverhampton on June 11 and travel to Moenchengladbach to play Germany three days later.
Coach Mancini has given Sassuolo’s promising midfielder Davide Frattesi and Empoli attacker Andrea Pinamonti their first senior call-ups for the run of fixtures.
He selected every player who from the Euro-winning squad apart from the injured Federico Chiesa, Gaetano Castrovilli, Rafael Toloi and Ciro Immobile.
Italy squad for the ‘Finalissima’ and Nations League matches:
Goalkeepers: Alessio Cragno (Cagliari), Gianluigi Donnarumma (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA), Alex Meret (Napoli), Salvatore Sirigu (Genoa)
Defenders: Francesco Acerbi (Lazio), Alessandro Bastoni (Inter Milan), Cristiano Biraghi (Fiorentina), Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus), Davide Calabria (AC Milan), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Giovanni Di Lorenzo (Napoli), Federico Dimarco (Inter Milan), Emerson Palmieri (Lyon/FRA), Alessandro Florenzi (AC Milan), Manuel Lazzari (Lazio), Luiz Felipe (Lazio), Gianluca Mancini (Roma), Leonardo Spinazzola (Roma)
Midfielders: Nicolo Barella (Inter Milan), Bryan Cristante (Roma), Davide Frattesi (Sassuolo), Jorginho (Chelsea/ENG), Manuel Locatelli (Juventus), Lorenzo Pellegrini (Roma), Matteo Pessina (Atalanta), Sandro Tonali (AC Milan), Marco Verratti (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA)
Forwards: Andrea Belotti (Torino), Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo), Federico Bernardeschi (Juventus), Gianluca Caprari (Verona), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli), Moise Kean (Juventus), Andrea Pinamonti (Empoli), Matteo Politano (Napoli), Giacomo Raspadori (Sassuolo), Gianluca Scamacca (Sassuolo), Mattia Zaccagni (Lazio), Nicolo Zaniolo (Roma)
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- How Antonio Conte revitalized Spurs into an elite side
- Morata to return to Atletico as loan at Juventus ends
- Tottenham closing on deal for Everton’s Richarlison – reports
- England’s White eyes Euro glory to cap glorious career
- With royal backing and a Snoop Dogg rap, Malaysia minnows challenge best in Asia
- LAFC ‘perfect for me’ — Chiellini
- Three Boca supporters arrested for racism, Nazi salute in Brazil
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea
- German club wins inaugural European refugee cup
- Where to find Orlando City SC vs. Nashville SC on US TV