The groups for World Cup 2022 feature a number of intriguing matchups.
Unlike most years, there is not a clear-cut ‘group of death.’ Generally speaking, there tends to be one group that features three or four teams that could contain an outside chance at a deep run in the tournament.
In 2018, Argentina, Croatia, Iceland and Nigeria battled in Group D. Four years prior, Italy, England, Uruguay and Costa Rica had a tight race to make it out of the group.
The groups for World Cup 2022 are well-balanced. Consequently, each game will carry importance as only the top two teams advance after the round-robin three-game first stage.
Groups for World Cup 2022
The groups for the World Cup in Qatar are just about set. Three teams are yet to punch its ticket to the World Cup. A UEFA World Cup qualifying playoff between Ukraine, Scotland and Wales will produce a team in Group B. Then, there are two intercontinental playoffs. Peru plays whichever team advances out of Australia and the United Arab Emirates. Finally, Costa Rica and New Zealand go head-to-head for a spot in Group E.
|Group||Team No. 1||Team No. 2||Team No. 3||Team No. 4|
If anything, the group to keep an eye on is Group F. Belgium and Croatia are both strong sides. Four years ago, Belgium finished third while Croatia were runners-up to France. Canada finished on top of CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying standings and has one of the most promising players in the world, Alphonso Davies.
World Cup Schedule
The groups for the FIFA World Cup 2022 begin their battles on Monday, Nov. 21. In each group, the order is the same. The first matchday has ‘team 3’ play ‘team 4,’ while teams 1 and 2 play each other.
Then, on matchday two, No. 1 plays No. 3, No. 2 plays No. 4.
Finally, the last remaining matchday sees the last remaining game. In this case, team 1 plays team 4 and team 2 plays team 3.
That can be confusing, but World Soccer Talk has the full schedule of World Cup games and how to watch them on U.S. TV and streaming.
PHOTO: Igor Kralj/PIXSELL
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ViX+ reveals pricing details and soccer coverage plans
- Get a Paramount+ one month free trial for a limited time
- Who should host the World Cup Final in 2026?
- Where to find Orlando Pride vs. Racing Louisville on US TV
- Ronaldo wants to leave Man United – reports
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022
- What is the best soccer stadium in the world?
- Where to find Santos vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan