Vila-real (Spain) (AFP) – Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold admitted Villarreal made life “really difficult” as Jurgen Klopp’s side battled through to a third Champions League final in five years on Tuesday.
The Reds led 2-0 from last week’s semi-final first leg at Anfield, but first-half goals in Spain from Boulaye Dia and Francis Coquelin levelled the tie on aggregate.
A much improved Liverpool regained control in the second half at La Ceramica where goals from Fabinho, Luis Diaz and Sadio Mane gave them a 3-2 win on the night and a 5-2 aggregate victory.
“We never seem to make these Champions League semi-finals easy for ourselves. Difficult, really difficult,” Alexander-Arnold told BT Sport.
“We came here and they played very well first half. We regrouped at half-time and got the game by the scruff of the neck. We did what we needed to do.”
Liverpool are bidding for an unprecedented quadruple, but looked in danger of losing a match by two goals for the first time this season after an uncharacteristic opening 45 minutes.
“We never played football that first half and didn’t pick up any second balls. They played the game they wanted to and we allowed them to do that,” said Alexander-Arnold.
“Second half we came out and controlled the ball better. One bad half over two legs, we can concede that to get the job done.”
Six-time European champions Liverpool will play Premier League rivals Manchester City or Real Madrid in the final in Paris on May 28.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Legacy on the line for Rangers in Europa League final
- Rangers and Frankfurt roll back the years for retro Europa League final
- Klopp confident Salah, Van Dijk fit for Champions League final
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dream
- Clint Dempsey joins FOX Sports for World Cup 2022 coverage
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dreams
- Chiellini says goodbye to Juve fans as last-gasp Lazio make Europa League
- Blackpool’s Daniels ends 32-year wait for gay UK male footballer to come out
- Liverpool assess Salah, Van Dijk ahead of Southampton clash
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy