Wolfsburg (Germany) (AFP) – Barcelona returned to the women’s Champions League final despite having their 45-match winning run ended by a 2-0 loss at Wolfsburg in Saturday’s semi-final second leg.
The Spanish giants advanced to the May 21 final with a 5-3 aggregate win despite the shock loss at Wolfsburg after Tabea Wassmuth and Jill Roord scored for the hosts.
Reigning European champions Barcelona had romped to a 5-1 victory in front of a crowd of 91,648 — a world record in women’s football — in the first leg at Camp Nou.
Wolfsburg, who won consecutive women’s Champions League titles in 2013 and 2014, stepped up in the second leg to end Barca’s long winning streak in all competitions dating back to last season.
After a goalless first half, Wassmuth scored her 10th goal in as many Champions League games when she smashed home from outside the area just after the break.
Wolfsburg doubled their lead just before the hour mark with another long-range goal when Dutch midfielder Roord unleashed a low drive into the right-hand corner.
Barcelona will face either Paris Saint-Germain or record seven-time winners Lyon in the final in Turin.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Rangers and Frankfurt roll back the years for retro Europa League final
- Klopp confident Salah, Van Dijk fit for Champions League final
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dream
- Clint Dempsey joins FOX Sports for World Cup 2022 coverage
- Newcastle blow up Arsenal’s Champions League dreams
- Chiellini says goodbye to Juve fans as last-gasp Lazio make Europa League
- Blackpool’s Daniels ends 32-year wait for gay UK male footballer to come out
- Liverpool assess Salah, Van Dijk ahead of Southampton clash
- African players in Europe: Mane has last laugh on Mendy
- Anti-homophobia group demands PSG explain Gueye absence