Washington (AFP) – Former US women’s national team goalkeeper Hope Solo, arrested last month on alcohol-related charges, said Friday she is entering an in-patient alcohol treatment program.
The 40-year-old American helped US squads win 2008 and 2012 Olympic gold medals and the 2015 Women’s World Cup title.
“I will be voluntarily entering an in-patient alcohol treatment program to address my challenges with alcohol,” Solo said in a Twitter post.
“At this time, my energies and focus are totally directed to my health, healing and taking care of my family.”
Solo was granted a request to have her induction into the US National Soccer Hall of Fame delayed from this year to 2023.
“I want to the thank the Hall of Fame for their support and for understanding my decision,” she tweeted.
Solo was arrested on March 31 after police found her passed out behind the wheel of a vehicle in a shopping center parking lot at Winston-Salem, North Carolina, with her two-year-old twins inside.
She was charged with driving while impaired and misdemeanors of child endangerment and resisting arrest.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Women to referee at World Cup finals for first time
- Marseille’s Kamara in for Pogba in France Nations League squad
- Frank optimistic Eriksen will stay at Brentford
- Flick recalls Reus in strong Germany squad
- New Man Utd manager Ten Hag to attend Palace finale – reports
- Bale deserves good Real Madrid farewell, says Ancelotti
- Gabon star Aubameyang retires from international football
- Bale named in Wales squad for World Cup play-off final
- ‘Blood, sweat and tears’ pays off for Abraham as he eyes European glory
- Frankfurt rule out big-name signings despite Europa League windfall