FuboTV, the popular streaming service throughout Canada, already has a large footprint with exclusive rights to some of the top soccer leagues in the world. Beginning August 2022, it’s adding arguably the biggest and best of them all. The English Premier League will be exclusively available in Canada. Goodbye DAZN. Hello fubo.
To learn more about fuboTV Canada’s plans, we interviewed Vanessa Morbi, vice president of marketing at fuboTV.
Interview with fuboTV Canada about its soccer coverage:
Christopher: What’s your vision for the future of fuboTV in Canada?
Vanessa Morbi: Our goal is to bring Canadians a robust platform of sports and entertainment content.
We offer a compelling combination of content including exclusive rights for some of the top soccer content in the world.
Christopher: Who do you see as your chief competitors in Canada?
Vanessa: We would call traditional pay TV and other streaming services our peers in the market although fubo is really a differentiated offering from those. We offer exclusive soccer rights (EPL, Serie A, Coppa Italia, etc) and other non-exclusive sports that Canadians want (CPL, national team) plus entertainment (Yellowstone via Paramount Network).
We are offering Canadians high value soccer and entertainment content at a very competitive price point. We believe that the market will respond very positively to the product and offering overall.
Christopher: In addition to the current Serie A rights, and then the Premier League rights starting this summer, what other soccer leagues or competitions does fuboTV have the rights to in Canada?
Vanessa: fuboTV has the Canadian-exclusive broadcasting rights to the Italian Serie A and Coppa Italia, as well as the Canadian-exclusive broadcasting rights for the Liga MX home matches of Club Deportivo Guadalajara (Chivas).
Through broadcasting partners OneSoccer and beIN Sports, fuboTV Canada subscribers can watch the Canadian Premier League, Ligue 1, Canadian National Men’s Soccer team games, Conmebol Libertadores, Turkish SuperLig, and more. As well, we recently added BenficaTV to the Canadian platform, so subscribers can watch Benfica home matches, preseason friendlies, and more.
Christopher: How does the adoption rate of Canadians subscribing to streaming in Canada compare to Americans in the United States?
Vanessa: The American market for streaming products is more mature, but still growing, in the US. For Canada it’s a really exciting time because it’s still very much in a growth phase.
Christopher: What other content does fuboTV have that would appeal to sports fans in Canada?
Vanessa: We have the Paramount Network which is home to one of the hottest shows, Yellowstone, as well as CBC. In the next month or so we will have exciting news to share about even more content for Canadians.
Christopher: Will fuboTV continue to carry CBC Radio-Canada? If so, how is the channel displayed within the app (as audio only or with video?)
Vanessa: fuboTV Canada will continue to carry CBC/Radio-Canada. The channels are displayed within the app as any other linear broadcast channel.
For context, the CBC’s official branded name is CBC/Radio-Canada, encompassing the English and French digital, video, radio, and television content that is produced by the Canadian Broadcast Company (widely referred to as CBC). That being said, fuboTV carries the broadcast channels, which are CBC and ICI Radio-Canada Tele. ICI Radio-Canada Tele is the French-language broadcasting channel, not a radio station, so it will always have video components. Thus, all CBC content displays and can be viewed like any other linear channel offered on fuboTV.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Roma and Feyenoord hoping to turn the corner in Conference League final
- Chelsea tickets on sale for U.S. friendlies
- Man City title miracle all part of Pep’s plan
- Hertha Berlin keep Bundesliga status with play-off win at Hamburg
- Italy face Argentina in UEFA vs CONMEBOL final on FS1
- Spinazzola makes Italy return for ‘Finalissima’ and Nations League
- Ukraine will be ready for World Cup play-off: Scotland boss Clarke
- Avram Glazer defends Man Utd reign after troubled season
- Mbappe says he consulted Macron over PSG deal
- West Ham’s Zouma in court over ‘cat abuse’ video