Berlin (AFP) – A slip while taking a penalty cost France winger Moussa Diaby the chance to score as Bayer Leverkusen were held to a goalless draw at Bochum on Sunday in the Bundesliga.
Leverkusen, who remain third in Germany’s top flight, were awarded a penalty when Czech Republic striker Patrik Schick went down in the area midway through the second half.
Diaby stepped up to take the spot kick, but slipped striking the ball, which flew into the net only after rebounding off his standing leg.
The referee spotted the second touch, which is against the rules, and disallowed the goal as Diaby rued his bad luck.
The result leaves Leverkusen trailing 17 points behind runaway league leaders Bayern Munich, who inched towards a tenth straight Bundesliga title on Saturday with a 1-0 home win over Augsburg.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale soon for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob
- Lampard warns Everton against treating Palace clash as ‘all-or-nothing’ game
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women soccer teams
- PSG’s Gueye asked to explain absence after homophobia accusations
- Europa League Final on TV: Rangers vs. Frankfurt details
- Liverpool’s Klopp has ‘no reason’ to talk to Gerrard before title climax
- Where to find Rangers vs. Frankfurt Europa League Final TV
- Qatar World Cup’s perplexing personal safety concerns