Doha (AFP) – Alejandro Dominguez of Paraguay was re-elected Conmebol president for a third term during Friday’s congress of the South American football body in Doha.
Dominguez, who took over in 2016 after a vast corruption scandal and was re-elected for a second term in 2018, was the only candidate and received the backing of the ten South American federations for another four-year term.
This 50-year-old businessman has succeeded in reforming the South American body following the arrest of his predecessor and compatriot Juan Angel Napout, sentenced to nine years in prison in the United States for his involvement in the corruption scandal.
Dominguez said he was proud to have managed to organise the Copa America in Brazil last year at short notice when it was initially planned to take place in Argentina and Colombia but had to be moved because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Dominguez also welcomed Conmebol’s cooperation with its European counterpart, UEFA — the two confederations have joined forces to organise competitions, starting with the “Finalissima”, a gala match in London in June between European champions Italy and Copa America winners Argentina.
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin is a close ally of Dominguez.
The Conmebol congress was attended by FIFA president Gianni Infantino, a few hours before the 2022 World Cup draw in the Qatari capital.
Dominguez, who is also a FIFA vice-president, started his professional career by running companies owned by his family.
At the same time, he chaired the Asuncion club, Olimpia, the most prestigious in the country, before taking the reins of the Paraguayan federation.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso
- Barcelona VP says Messi return would be ‘possible financially’
- Brands hoping World Cup boosts Gen Z interest in soccer
- Hummel makes statement with World Cup kits for Denmark
- 3 reasons Arlington is not ideal host for 2026 World Cup final
- Richarlison racially abused in Brazil’s win over Tunisia
- Where to find Chelsea vs. West Ham on US TV
- USMNT staggers into World Cup following draw with Saudi Arabia
- 2026 World Cup Final will reportedly be in Arlington, Texas