London (AFP) – Bukayo Saka will miss England’s friendlies against Switzerland and Ivory Coast after the Arsenal forward tested positive for the coronavirus.
Saka was forced to pull out on Thursday following his Covid test as the number of withdrawals from Gareth Southgate’s squad continues to rise.
The 20-year-old trained with England on Tuesday but was too unwell to take part in further sessions at St George’s Park.
Southgate has opted not to bring in a replacement for Saka at this stage.
“Bukayo Saka has left the England camp having tested positive for Covid-19,” a Football Association statement said.
“The Arsenal player had been isolating from the rest of the squad at St George’s Park since Wednesday and has now returned home.
“No further replacements are planned with a squad of 24 in place for the forthcoming fixtures.”
Since naming his 25-man squad last Thursday, Southgate had already seen Reece James, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Aaron Ramsdale, Tammy Abraham and Sam Johnstone withdraw due to fitness issues.
Tyrick Mitchell, Kyle Walker-Peters, Ben Foster and Ollie Watkins were called up to replace those absentees.
England face Switzerland on Saturday and Ivory Coast on Tuesday, with both matches at Wembley.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Real Madrid remain Europe’s most valuable football club: report
- Tearful Mourinho hails Conference League ‘history’ for Roma
- Mbappe’s rumored benefits allow too much power for one player
- Zaniolo fires Roma to Conference League triumph over Feyenoord
- Kompany ‘parts ways’ with Belgium’s Anderlecht
- FOX & fuboTV’s UEFA Nations League plans raise concerns
- Robertson urges Scotland to put sentiment aside in Ukraine play-off
- Klopp confident Thiago will be fit for Champions League final
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season as Mane hints at exit
- Tirana inhabitants brace for Conference League final after clashes