Berlin (AFP) – Bayern Munich centre-back Niklas Suele is a doubt for their Champions League quarter-final next month after suffering a muscle tear in training, the Bundesliga leaders announced Thursday.
His fellow defender Benjamin Pavard has tested positive for Covid-19, leaving coach Julian Nagelsmann with a selection headache ahead of this weekend’s match against Union Berlin.
Bayern, bidding for a 10th straight Bundesliga title, have seen their advantage cut from eight points to four over the last fortnight by second-placed Borussia Dortmund.
Germany centre-back Suele has suffered a left thigh injury and was ruled out for a “few weeks”.
The Champions League quarter-final draw will be held on Friday, with the ties to be played on April 5/6 and 12/13.
The Bavarian giants, six-time European champions, thrashed Red Bull Salzburg 8-2 on aggregate in the last 16.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22
- Marsch expects to stay on even if Leeds are relegated
- Bad blood stirred by scarf row ahead of German Cup final
- Gerrard only has eyes for Villa despite Premier League drama
- Stones, Walker returns boost Man City for final-day decider