Washington (AFP) – Adam Buksa scored two second-half goals to power the New England Revolution over Mexico’s Pumas UNAM 3-0 on Wednesday in the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League quarter-finals.
The Polish striker connected in the 72nd minute and in the second minute of stoppage time after the Major League Soccer squad had taken the lead on Sebastian Lletget’s goal in the 19th minute in the snow at Gilette Stadium.
It puts New England in a strong position entering next Wednesday’s second leg at Mexico City.
In the night’s final first-leg match, Mexican winger Uriel Antuna scored in the 20th minute to give Mexico’s Cruz Azul a 1-0 home victory over Montreal.
Four MLS clubs are in the last eight of the event, all trying to end a 22-year league wait for a trophy in the competition.
Reigning MLS champion New York City FC beat Guatemala’s Comunicaciones 3-1 in a Tuesday first leg while the Seattle Sounders defeated Mexico’s Leon 3-0.
The last MLS team to prevail in the North American region’s top club tournament was the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2000.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Huddersfield vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV
- Football fans allowed for China’s Covid-delayed kick-off
- Liverpool fans confident Reds will bounce back after Champions League setback
- Salah’s Egyptian fans share in his Champions League misery
- UEFA blames ‘fake tickets’ for Champions League final delay
- Courtois earns respect with heroics to thwart Liverpool in Champions League final
- Liverpool will ‘come again’ after anticlimactic end to stellar season
- ‘I can’t do much more’ to win Ballon d’Or – Benzema
- Families of Liverpool staff caught up in Champions League final chaos – Klopp