London (AFP) – Tomas Soucek scored the only goal as West Ham beat Wolves 1-0 in the Premier League on Sunday to lift themselves to within two points of fourth-placed Manchester United.
David Moyes’ side, who had drawn their previous two matches, climbed above Arsenal thanks to Soucek’s 59th-minute goal on his 27th birthday at the London Stadium.
Just seven points separate Manchester United from eighth-placed Wolves, who are still in the hunt for a place in next season’s Champions League despite their defeat.
Moyes said before the game that he would like more goals from Michail Antonio and Soucek.
Striker Antonio has not found the net since New Year’s Day while Soucek, who struck 10 goals from midfield last season, had been stuck on just three this term.
The two combined for the only goal of the match just before the hour mark, with Czech international Soucek in the right place at the right time to prod Antonio’s cross past Jose Sa.
West Ham now have 45 points, the same number as Arsenal, who have three games in hand.
The Hammers have not finished in the top four of the English top flight since the 1985/86 season, when they were third under manager John Lyall.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Frankfurt ready to rock Rangers in Seville under Borre’s influence
- Late goal spree takes Moroccan club Berkane to CAF Cup final
- Brentford duo report racist abuse of family at Everton
- Mbappe says decision ‘almost’ made over PSG future
- Martinez brace ensures Inter take title race to final week
- Suarez bids Atletico farewell as Sevilla qualify for Champions League
- Sevilla draw with Atletico to qualify for Champions League
- Orlando Pirates reach CAF Cup final despite shock home defeat
- What is the best soccer game you have watched?
- Pochettino says French title ‘not enough’ but PSG can rebuild