Connect with us

Where to find on TV

Canada-US isn’t on TV in English: Here’s how to watch it for free

Sunday’s hugely important World Cup qualifier featuring Canada-US isn’t on TV for English-language viewers. You can watch it in Spanish on Telemundo or Universo. But if you want to watch the game in English, it’s exclusively available via Paramount+, the streaming service.

If you don’t have Paramount+ yet, the streaming service is offering a special one-month free trial for new subscribers. And if you like what you see after the month is up, it’s only $4.99 per month afterwards.

Yes, the Canada-USA game is huge. But in the next month, Paramount+ will show all of the UEFA Champions League games. For instance, that includes PSG-Real Madrid, Inter-Liverpool, RB Salzburg-Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid-Manchester United, among many other matches.

To get your one month for free, take these steps

1) Click here to activate the deal
2) Choose from the different options available
3) When you get to the Payment Details page, click ‘Have a coupon code?’ and then enter 1883 and click the blue apply button (see screengrab below)

Note, kickoff time is 3:05PM ET Sunday.

Normally, Paramount+ is only available as a 7-day free trial. So this 30-day offer will only be available for a very limited time.

Every year, Paramount+ streams more than 2,000 soccer games. In addition to Concacaf World Cup qualifiers and Champions League matches, you also get:

Serie A
Brazilian league
Argentine league
NWSL
Europa League
Scottish Premiership
AFC Champions League
The Women’s Cup

Paramount+ also features tens of thousands of episodes from CBS, BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon and Smithsonian Channel, as well as hundreds of iconic movies from Paramount Pictures.

Plus, you get games from NFL, college football, NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship, The Masters, PGA Championship, and PGA Tour.

Why Canada-US isn’t on TV

If you’re wondering why Canada-US isn’t on TV, here’s the answer. First, because the game is being played in Canada, the Canadian soccer federation has the rights to the game. Second, Canada sold the rights to CBS Sports. Third and finally, CBS Sports decided to make the game available exclusively on Paramount+, its streaming service.

Why not air the game on CBS or CBS Sports Network? Due to the 3:05PM ET kickoff time on a Sunday, CBS has the Bengals-Chiefs NFL game. And CBS Sports Network has women’s college basketball.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
21 Comments

21 Comments

1. nosferatu

January 31, 2022 at 12:30 am

I’m curious what others think about Paramount’s replay policy–seems to be across the board of competitions–to remove everything but the game for the replay. So no pre-game, no halftime, and no post-game (although I know the post-game shows for the CL are available separately).

I doubt I missed any hard-hitting insights, but sometimes it’s good to just be able to see this stuff. But most importantly, watching the replay like this you’re forced to try to figure out the lineups. Far from ideal, especially when you’re watching teams you’re not terribly familiar with, as is sometimes the case with the CL and EL games. I’d much prefer to just have to fast-forward through this stuff if I don’t like it or need it and in the process have the replay available hours earlier in the process!

2. Ra

January 30, 2022 at 9:24 pm

@Michael F. I am also done with Paramount, and it wasn’t because of this game – I did not watch it, and I dislike most qualifiers except Conmembol. And Fubo buried that one away.
    Back to Paramount, lack of rewind of live stream is a big deal to me. What compelled me to cancel it? Lack of Formula E, now that F1 became a scripted show.

3. Michael F

January 30, 2022 at 9:01 pm

@Ra. I guess sometimes you get what you paid for. For $5 a month, I can watch a lousy stream feed of a soccer match.

All jokes aside, I am not used to that. For all the subscriptions I have (ie live tv stream UTV, ESPN+, Peacock, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO/Max, etc)… that is way below standard and I can say that for the last number of years of streaming entertainment and sports from home.

4. Ra

January 30, 2022 at 5:26 pm

It seems to me thaTV… Paramount was doing you a favor by not letting you suffer in front of the tv…

5. phil buchan

January 30, 2022 at 4:49 pm

canada winning 1-0 oh yeh allez les rouge

6. Michael F

January 30, 2022 at 4:30 pm

I am viewing this via 6th gen Apple TV. P+ deserves very strong criticism for such a lousy video stream. Never experience this poor quality of video stream from ESPN+ or Peacock. Big time fail here.

7. JP

January 30, 2022 at 4:17 pm

@MichaelF @greg
    Glad it wasn’t just me, seems like P+ doesn’t have enough bandwidth to service everyone streaming the match. Maybe always the case but just much less streams for Serie A or midweek afternoon UCL (when P+ not broken lol)

8. greg

January 30, 2022 at 4:10 pm

@Michael – I was wondering if that was just my old-ish TV and going thru Roku (though hard-wired to the router), but yeah…and kind of washed out also. As if the cameras at the stadium have cr*ppy white balance.

9. Michael F

January 30, 2022 at 4:03 pm

Very disappointing video stream quality for Paramount+ feed of the USA/Canada qualifier match. It goes from grainy blur to full 1080p back and forth as match plays.

10. mark

January 30, 2022 at 3:52 pm

Every TV show in America has a SAP in Spanish. Why can’t the spanish channels do the reverse?

11. greg

January 30, 2022 at 3:33 pm

No, 60 Minutes won’t be on until 7pm local time or when the football ends if they have a 4pm game that runs over. Been that way forever. And no way does 60 Minutes get bumped for anything. Delayed for NFL, yes…even if CBS has the Super Bowl they usually do 60 Minutes after it, usually some marquee interview.

12. Michael

January 30, 2022 at 3:11 pm

The game is for free in on Telemundo if you don’t have Paramount+. There are bars here in NC that are showing it. @Mercator. Unless I am mistaken, CBS goes right to 60 Minutes after the first game, similarly to the way they go to 60 Minutes after the late (4:00) game during the regular season. I am not sure what the rating for 60 Minutes are…but I am pretty sure that they wouldn’t bump it for USMT.

13. Mase

January 30, 2022 at 1:36 pm

I am confused about this story, I am watching legally this game on TV using the Paramount + app on my Roku TV, maybe correct the story or explain it better? The bigger issue is having the game start as the same time as NFL championship Sunday!

• Christopher Harris

January 30, 2022 at 2:08 pm

The game isn’t on English-language linear television in the United States. Yes, you can stream games to your television.

14. Ivan

January 30, 2022 at 1:21 pm

It’s on Telemundo, that’s good enough for me.

Noone cares about expanding interest in soccer. Greedy disgusting corporations care about money and money only.

Thanks but no thanks.

15. Mercator

January 30, 2022 at 1:08 pm

Women’s College Basketball? I usually prefer the games on streaming, but not on a day like today. It’s the NFL Conference Finals, plenty of people will be out for those games. They should have put it on TV so the game could at least be on a few TVs at the bars – they don’t show streaming only content. Really poor – it’s USA v Canada, if this were on TV and a noon or 9pm game, fans could make a day of it and it could lead in or end the NFL games. But since its streaming only at a conflicting time, even I won’t be able to watch today (will wear my McKennie jersey at the bars though!).

16. greg

January 30, 2022 at 12:23 pm

I was wondering about the scheduling as well. The conference championship dates are known well in-advance. But seems CONCACAF settled on a Thursday-Sunday-Wednesday schedule for all matches. How much sway does the US have within CONCACAF to have pushed for a Wednesday-Saturday schedule for the 1st 2 matches to avoid the Sunday? Or at least gone for a noon start today to avoid overlap with the NFL?

But even then, with CBS doing the early NFL game today, they wouldn’t be showing the US match on CBS live as they’d be doing pregame for the NFL at least from an hour before that game.

17. Azer

January 30, 2022 at 12:15 pm

CBS is not showing the game on its cable channel either. CBSSN has 2 women’s college basketball games. Even if they were CBSSN is not available on standard cable like ESPN, ESPN2 & FS1.
    You have to pay more to get, might as well subscribe to Paramount+.
    CBS would never show a soccer game on network TV unless it’s the UCL Final. The NFL Championship game is not an obstacle. I’m sure a cooking show would generate more revenue for CBS than Canada vs USA.

18. Yespage

January 30, 2022 at 10:43 am

How to expand American interest in Soccer… don’t show World Cup qualifiers on TV.

• Christopher Harris

January 30, 2022 at 10:45 am

Don’t schedule it at the same time as a NFL championship game would be a bigger concern

• JP

January 30, 2022 at 11:32 am

@Yespage, soccer fan myself but know the reality is it would be lost on television anyway going up against the AFC championship game at the same time. Even if they put it on CBSSN, wouldn’t really be able to promote it. They want all the eyeballs on the NFL game today with the high advertising rates they likely receiving. P+ for the few USMNT diehards who won’t be watching NFL is very justified in this case.