London (AFP) – Manchester City defender Kyle Walker has been banned for three European matches after his Champions League red card against RB Leipzig.
The England right-back was sent off for an ugly foul on striker Andre Silva in the 82nd minute of City’s final Champions League group match on December 7.
The suspension, handed down by UEFA’s disciplinary body on Friday, rules Walker out of both legs of City’s Champions League last-16 tie against Sporting Lisbon.
UEFA branded the challenge as “assault” on their disciplinary charge sheet.
Walker will also miss the first leg of the quarter-final if City beat Sporting, or their first match in European competition next season.
City lost the Leipzig match 2-1 but they were already assured of top spot in Group A, making the 31-year-old’s tackle unnecessary.
Walker’s ban means Pep Guardiola is now counting the cost of his decision to field a strong side for a dead rubber.
“The red card hurts us, especially for the round of 16. Kyle Walker is an important player for us and is unnecessary to lose him like this. I hope he learns from this,” Guardiola said immediately after the Leipzig game.
City face Sporting in the first leg in Lisbon on February 15, with the return leg at the Etihad Stadium on March 9.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Harmony reigns as Ancelotti and Real Madrid proves a winning combination
- Real Madrid remain Europe’s most valuable football club: report
- Tearful Mourinho hails Conference League ‘history’ for Roma
- Mbappe’s rumored benefits allow too much power for one player
- Zaniolo fires Roma to Conference League triumph over Feyenoord
- Kompany ‘parts ways’ with Belgium’s Anderlecht
- FOX & fuboTV’s UEFA Nations League plans raise concerns
- Robertson urges Scotland to put sentiment aside in Ukraine play-off
- Klopp confident Thiago will be fit for Champions League final
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season as Mane hints at exit