Rio de Janeiro (AFP) – Brazilian giants Flamengo announced on Wednesday that Paulo Sousa is their new coach, just hours after he paid a release clause to quit his job as coach of Poland’s national team.
The 51-year-old from Portugal, who began his coaching career in England with Queen’s Park Rangers, has signed a two-year deal, Flamengo said on Twitter.
“Paulo Sousa is the Mengao’s new coach,” said Rio de Janeiro-based Flamengo, the most popular team in Brazil.
Poland’s football federation announced Sousa’s departure on Twitter and said the coach would have to pay “compensation in line with the federation’s expectations.”
Some media said that amounted to 300,000 euros ($340,000).
“I’m very proud and satisfied to represent a club with Flamengo’s incomparable greatness,” said Sousa in a video message on Twitter.
“It is the time to work hard to give joy, titles and to bring the team close to more than 40 million fans.”
Sousa replaces Renato Gaucho, who left the club following their defeat to compatriots Palmeiras in last month’s Copa Libertadores final.
Sousa guided Poland to six wins, five draws and four defeats in 15 matches as they finished second behind England in their 2022 World Cup qualifying group. They face Russia in a playoff next March.
As a player, Sousa won the Champions League in back-to-back seasons with different teams: Juventus in 1996 and Borussia Dortmund a year later, beating the Italians in the final.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Bronze to leave Women’s Super League club Man City
- Ibrahimovic endured sleepless nights to deliver Serie A title for Milan
- Man Utd report revenue increase despite ‘disappointing’ season
- FIFPro sounds alarm over player workloads ahead of Champions League final
- Vote for the 2026 World Cup host cities in North America
- ‘One in a million’ Klopp makes Liverpool a European giant again
- Liverpool’s Diaz from indigenous community that breeds ‘toughness’
- Mbappe’s PSG to play three games in Japan in July
- The Spaniard raised at Barcelona who made Hong Kong football history
- ‘One in a million’ Klopp makes Liverpool a European giant once more