Beijing (AFP) – Eight-time Chinese Super League champions Guangzhou FC have appointed Zheng Zhi as player-coach, with the club fighting for its future because of a debt crisis at owners China Evergrande.
The 41-year-old, a midfielder who played in the English Premier League for Charlton Athletic, takes charge of China’s most successful football team following the sacking two months ago of Fabio Cannavaro.
Zheng, a club stalwart who captained China, has been taking training at Guangzhou since the end of November, state news agency Xinhua said.
The CSL resumes this weekend after a four-month break, but the club have reportedly been unable to pay the players’ salaries.
“We hope all the club’s coaches, players and staff will summon a strong sense of honour, responsibility and team spirit to put all our difficulties behind us… and do our utmost to complete this season’s match obligations,” the club said in a statement.
Zheng will act as “executive head coach as well as a player”.
Reacting to Zheng’s appointment, one football fan wrote on the Twitter-like Weibo: “It’s a pretty bold move to take over at a time like this.”
Evergrande acquired then second-tier Guangzhou in 2010 and ushered in a period of great success bolstered by the arrival of big-name players and coaches.
Brazilian international midfielder Paulinho arrived from Tottenham Hotspur and the Italian World Cup-winning coach Marcello Lippi took over as coach, with his compatriot Cannavaro most recently in charge.
The club won the Asian Champions League in 2013 and 2015.
But China Evergrande, a major property developer, has been struggling for months under a $300 million debt pile exacerbated by Beijing’s drive to curb excessive leverage in the real estate industry.
The CSL once had a reputation for lavish spending, but the money has dried up dramatically in the last couple of years and champions Jiangsu FC folded earlier this year.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family