Our Jim Beglin interview is a special moment in the brief history of our Show ‘n’ Tell series. While most soccer fans now know Jim for his co-commentary from around the game, he is the first former player to come on our show.
Beglin, who notably spent time at Liverpool and Leeds during his playing time, suffered from an injury-laden career. A major fracture in his leg during a Merseyside Derby damaged what was a promising young career as a left back.
Undeterred, he found new outlets to enjoy the game. Eventually, he found his way into radio commentary while sidelined with injuries. His knowledge of the game as a player allowed him to provide insight on the game. This opened doors on the TV side of co-commentary. Now, soccer fans hear Jim Beglin’s voice on Champions League and Premier League broadcasts.
Beglin says he actually has a bigger presence outside of England than in the country because his broadcasts are often for the world feeds or other broadcasters.
Jim Beglin interview
We get to know Jim’s career development from player into commentator. Certainly, he made the most of each opportunity presented to him despite misfortune with injuries.
Over his tenure off the pitch, Jim had the opportunity to call some of the most memorable games in the history of the sport. For example, he did co-commentary of the 2005 Champions League Final, which Liverpool overcame a 3-0 second-half deficit. Interestingly, Derek Rae also brought up this game in our interview not too long ago.
READ MORE: Show ‘n’ Tell with Derek Rae.
Clearly, that game lives fondly in the hearts of commentators and fans.
In the show and tell portion of our Jim Beglin interview, our guest provides a good mix items from his playing career and things garnered over his time as a commentator.
His promising career yielded early success with Liverpool, picking up hardware in his first season at Anfield. Of course, as stated previously, Jim shows what happened to his leg. An X-ray of his fracture shows the severity of his injuries, and proves how remarkable his comeback as a player was.
Similarly, success off the field warrants success in its own right. A pair of World Cup Finals are likely any commentators dream. However, soccer fans in Europe find an equally special connection to watching their nation compete on the world’s biggest stage.
SHOW ‘N’ TELL
The SHOW ‘N’ TELL series from World Soccer Talk allows viewers to see a new side of members of the soccer media. Undoubtedly, these broadcasters, podcasters, writers or former players/coaches have things from their career that many would consider extremely rare. It could be a certain kit, a matchday program, a boot or frankly any kind of collectible.
We want to know who you want to see in future episodes. Make sure to comment on this post with possible members of the media that you think would have interesting items to share.
Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below. Also, do not miss future episodes.
All episodes are on World Soccer Talk’s YouTube channel.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family