London (AFP) – Steven Gerrard said his first match as Aston Villa manager “can’t come quickly enough” as he prepares for the visit of Brighton on Saturday.
The 41-year-old left Scottish champions Rangers to take the helm at the Birmingham-based club, who sacked Dean Smith last week after five successive league defeats.
Villa are languishing in 16th place in the Premier League, two points above the relegation zone, after 11 games but Gerrard is raring to get going.
“The excitement levels are really, really high,” former Liverpool midfielder Gerrard told VillaTV. “I’m very hungry, very ambitious and the start can’t come quickly enough.”
Gerrard, who steered Rangers to their first Scottish title in a decade last season, said the opportunity to take over at such an “iconic” club was too good to turn down.
“I think coming to Villa, competing against Villa for many, many years, I know the size of the club, I know the standards that are already here,” he said.
“I know many of the players, I played for England with a lot of the players. I played with Ashley Young, who I’ve spoken to, I know Danny Ings very well from his time at Liverpool when I was a coach.”
The former England international’s first game will be at home to Graham Potter’s Brighton on Saturday, following the current international break.
He takes his side to face Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool on December 11 and also has tough fixtures against Manchester City and Chelsea next month.
Gerrard, considered one of the greatest players in the Premier League era, said there would be no split emotions when he takes his new side to Anfield.
“I don’t think me or anyone else will be able to control the noise,” he said. “For me, that’s not important.
“What’s important is the chance to go to Anfield and win and try and take maximum points, which is the attitude and mentality we’ll have going into every game. It is what it is.
“I want to win every game. My priority and focus, and everything I will give on a daily basis, will be for Aston Villa.”
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family