London (AFP) – Aston Villa slumped to a fifth consecutive defeat as Adam Armstrong’s early strike earned Southampton a 1-0 win on Friday.
Armstrong had not scored for nine games since netting on his debut on the opening weekend of the season after a £15 million ($20 million) move from Blackburn.
But he showed no lack of confidence by blasting the ball into the top corner after just three minutes.
After a lacklustre first 45 minutes, Villa came to life after the break.
However, Dean Smith’s position as manager will come under scrutiny during the upcoming international break as the visitors failed to find an equaliser.
The chances fell to the wrong players for Villa as centre-backs Tyrone Mings and Axel Tuanzebe blasted wastefully off target.
England defender Mings, who was recalled from the start after being dropped for last weekend’s 4-1 defeat by West Ham, also had strong claims for a penalty turned down.
At the other end, Emiliano Martinez produced a stunning save to deny Che Adams doubling Southampton’s lead.
But just the one goal was enough to lift the Saints up to 12th.
Villa remain in 15th, just three points above the relegation zone.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- New CEO aims to make Bundesliga world’s ‘most digital league’
- UK government in talks with ‘international partners’ over Chelsea sale
- West Ham’s Bowen named in England squad for Nations League
- Bayern sign right-back Mazraoui from Ajax
- BBC apologises to fans after ‘Manchester United are rubbish’ gaffe
- Former Bayern boss Kovac to coach Wolfsburg
- Ancelotti ‘respects’ Mbappe decision, says Real Madrid focused on final
- UK police to take no action after Vieira ‘kick’ at Everton fan
- West Ham’s Kurt Zouma pleads guilty to kicking pet cat
- Top-tier Chongqing latest Chinese football club to fold