Stockholm (AFP) – AC Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic was on Tuesday recalled to the Sweden squad for the upcoming 2022 World Cup qualifying matches, a month after the star’s return to the national team was thwarted by injury.
Coach Janne Andersson included “Ibra,” who turned 40 last month, for the away games against Georgia on November 11 and Spain on November 14.
Since he ended a five-year international retirement in March, Ibrahimovic has been called up three times by Sweden, but has only played twice.
He appeared in two World Cup qualifiers in late March, both of which Sweden won, but pulled out of Euro 2020 finals in June shortly before the tournament kicked off with a knee injury.
After returning for AC Milan in mid-September, Ibrahimovic suffered an injury to his Achilles tendon which ruled him out of two World Cup qualifiers in late September.
Ibrahimovic returned for Milan in mid-October and has appeared in five consecutive games, scoring twice. He struck his 150th Serie A goal against Roma on Sunday.
After six games, Sweden lead European Group B with 15 points, two ahead of Spain.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Qatar World Cup’s perplexing personal safety concerns
- Nottingham Forest need penalties to reach playoff final
- Liverpool beat Southampton to take title race to final day
- Frankfurt boosted by Lindstrom return for Europa League final
- Manchester United 2022/23 shirts leaked ahead of new season
- Senegal’s president supports Gueye after homophobia accusations
- Roofe gives Rangers cover for Europa League final
- Lucky trousers, big dreams as Glasner leads Frankfurt to Europa League final
- Hamburg relishing play-off bid to return to Bundesliga
- Houghton picked in provisional England squad for women’s Euros