Madrid (AFP) – Atletico Madrid spurned the chance to move level on points with Real Madrid on Thursday after conceding from two penalties, the second in the 89th minute, to draw 2-2 away at Levante.
Atletico led twice at the City of Valencia Stadium as Antoine Griezmann opened the scoring before Matheus Cunha’s first goal for the club looked to have sealed victory.
But each time Levante hit back from the spot after a Luis Suarez foul and then a late handball by Renan Lodi allowed Enis Bardhi to convert from 12 yards.
Diego Simeone was also sent off towards the end of the contest as Atletico edge up to fifth, five points off early leaders Real Sociedad, albeit with a game in hand.
Real Sociedad earlier returned to the top of the table after they won 2-0 away at Celta Vigo.
Simeone had said before the game he was “worried but busy” trying to fix his team’s unexpected fragility in defence, with this game making it seven goals conceded in the last three games.
Atletico have won only one of their last four league matches, against Barcelona, after a surprise defeat by Alaves and draws with Real Sociedad and now Levante.
Luis Suarez, Griezmann and Joao Felix started together again in a front three and it is possible that combining the trio’s talents in attack is coming at a cost to the solidity of the team.
Atletico face Liverpool at Anfield on Wednesday in what is a crunch game in Champions League Group B and they are likely to be punished again if they fail to tighten up against Mohamed Salah.
Griezmann’s opener came in the 12th minute as his corner was deflected back to him on the left of the penalty area. Griezmann hung up a cross to the opposite post and Felipe’s floating header across again found the Frenchman, who nodded in.
Levante equalised shortly before half-time when Suarez clambered over Ruben Vezo and Barhdi made no mistake.
Cunha, who joined in the summer from Hertha Berlin, might have thought he had scored the winner 14 minutes from the end when he was brilliantly slid through by Rodrigo de Paul and finished.
But Levante came again, Jose Luis Morales’ cross diverted onto the hand of Lodi at point-blank range, causing referee Pablo Gonzalez to consult the replay and award the penalty. Bardhi found the corner.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family