Connect with us

EPL Commentator Schedule

NBC Premier League Commentators for gameweek 9

NBC Premier League Commentators for gameweek 9

With the Premier League consistently having thrilling matches each week, the NBC Premier League commentators stay busy. For example, the Leicester City-Manchester United fixture from a week ago produced six goals, many of which were from the top drawer.

Now, as we enter gameweek nine a handful of games draw more attention than others. Among them, the biggest rivalry in English soccer writes its newest chapter.

On Sunday morning, Manchester United hosts Liverpool. Manchester United is experiencing one of the most up-and-down seasons in recent memory. Dramatic come-from-behind wins in the Champions League separate a run of poor results domestically. The Red Devils currently sit at sixth in the table with one point from their previous three league games.

Contrarily, Liverpool remains steady. A perfect Champions League record couples a second-place standing in the league. Liverpool trails only Chelsea by one point. Last week, Liverpool thrashed Watford, 5-0, with Roberto Firmino bagging a hat trick.

To start your Premier League coverage this weekend, a Friday contest between Arsenal and Aston Villa gets the set of fixtures going. Arsenal, unbeaten in their last five in the league, sits one spot ahead of Aston Villa, who is 13th in the table.

On Saturday, a quietly strong side in Brighton host Manchester City. While not a star-studded team, Brighton is fourth in the table. On the other hand, Manchester City is full of stars and they are just ahead of the Seagulls at third in the table, just two points ahead of Brighton.

Following that game, Sunday’s action includes a game between West Ham and Tottenham. Both teams currently sit in European spots, with Champions League potential a certain possibility. Tottenham is fifth in the table with five wins and three losses. West Ham is level with Manchester United on points.

Premier League coverage this weekend

For the first time this season, NBC’s studio crew will be on the road for their shows covering the Premier League. Rebecca Lowe, Robbie Earle, Robbie Mustoe and Tim Howard make the trip to Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum for the Premier League Mornings Fan Festival.

READ MORE: NBC’s Premier League coverage heading to Los Angeles.

As usual, the crew picks up with their normal set of studio shows. On Saturday, a pair of Premier League Mornings Live airs from the vaunted football stadium in Los Angeles. Coverage starts at 7 a.m. ET before kickoff between Chelsea and Norwich.

Also on Saturday, Goal Rush continues its run. The whip-around style shows keeps you up-to-date with the goals and major moments from around the 10 a.m. kickoffs on Saturday.

A two-hour Premier League Mornings keeps the fan festival going with coverage starting at 7 a.m. ET yet again. For those interested, that is 4 a.m. local in Los Angeles. Goal Zone wraps up all the major moments throughout the day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday on NBCSN following each day’s games.

NBC Premier League Commentators

All of the following times are in Eastern Time. For more information, check out the Premier League Schedule on World Soccer Talk.

Friday, Oct. 22

3 p.m. — Arsenal vs. Aston Villa. NBCSN, Universo, fubo TVSling BlueHulu + Live TV. — Jim Proudfoot and Efan Ekoku.

Saturday, Oct. 23

7:30 a.m. — Chelsea vs. Norwich City. NBCSN, Universo, fubo TVSling BlueHulu + Live TV. — Peter Drury and Andy Townsend.

10 a.m. — Leeds United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers. NBCSN, Universo, fubo TVSling BlueHulu + Live TV. — Rob Palmer and Rob Green.

10 a.m. — Everton vs. Watford. USA Network, fubo TVSling BlueHulu + Live TV. — David Stowell and Leon Osman.

10 a.m. — Crystal Palace vs. Newcastle. Peacock Premium. — Tony Jones and Efan Ekoku.

10 a.m. — Southampton vs. Burnley. Peacock Premium. — Gary Taphouse and Tony Gale.

12:30 p.m. — Brighton and Hove Albion vs. Manchester City. NBC, Peacock Premium, Universo, fubo TVSling BlueHulu + Live TV. — Arlo White and Lee Dixon.

Sunday, Oct. 24

9 a.m. — West Ham United vs. Tottenham Hotspur. NBCSN, fubo TVSling BlueHulu + Live TV. — Joe Speight and Efan Ekoku.

9 a.m. — Brentford vs. Leicester City. Peacock Premium. — Jacqui Oatley and Matt Upson.

11:30 a.m. — Manchester United vs. Liverpool. NBCSN, Telemundo, fubo TVSling BlueHulu + Live TV. — Arlo White, Lee Dixon and Graeme Le Saux.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more

33 Comments

1. MIB Fan

October 26, 2021 at 10:03 am

Arlo White and Lee Dixon called Arsenal-Villa for Five Live

2. Michael F

October 24, 2021 at 4:56 pm

@greg. You get the best reply post of the week award with the 18th century remark. Good stuff and well deserved for the recipient.

Btw… Jacqui Oakley did a nice job.

3. Weber Niraschtoe

October 24, 2021 at 1:49 pm

I would take Jacqui Oatley over the aging Tony Jones / Martin Tyler all day long, they are too old and it is too tough for them to get excited, so why not just quit while you were still good… Especially the latter, Martin has really ruined his legacy in the past 5 years or so.
    If there are fans who only start to watch in the last half decade, they would probably think Martin Tyler is woeful, but when he was at the best he was the best. Shame to see him just physically not really able to be as energetic as he used to be.

4. greg

October 24, 2021 at 11:31 am

@Ian – she’s been around for a bit, mostly news reporter at Sky I think….took over from Neil Ashton as Sunday Supplement host for one season, then moved to other things. But yeah, knows her stuff.

FWIW there are plenty of knowledgeable women who cover men’s football…Nicky Bandini who’s aces on Serie A, Suzie Wrack & Flo Lloyd Hughes show up a lot on Football Weekly, and do some good writing, Vicky Gommersall at Sky who took over Sunday Supplement, And of course Kate Abdo, Rebecca Lowe…to think women can’t cover men’s sport is a fairly dated concept. Talent is talent is talent…

5. Ian Jelinek

October 24, 2021 at 10:54 am

@greg for fn REAL

6. Ian Jelinek

October 24, 2021 at 10:53 am

@Tony — Why? I’ll take her over many male commentators. For real. Some are just poor, – repetetive, lacking in understanding or nuance abt the modern game. Your comment lands as sexist, TBH… but I leave you to reflect on that, Maybe watching footy feels like a masculine, communal experience… which I totally get. Sometimes that’s what we need as men. And really I’m happy to discuss. It certainly was surprising to hear a female voice, and it does take getting used to. I think she’s been great and I’ve spent WAYYY to much time writing this post & not watching the frikkin match.

@Raphael — fully agree. I came here to find out who she was. Is this the first time she’s commentated a Prem match? Never heard her before (here).

@bill — Go Gunners! Ooo to be a goonah! 🔴⚪️

@Shriniwas Patwardhan — I’d rather hear Drury any day, and can’t say I dislike Arlo White exactly. His style, gentle English accent (I’m not sure the region or training) and “over-explanatory” style is annoying to me NOW, …but for a new viewer to the game… it would be, and is PERFECT. Hear me out — obvs Prem & NBC want to keep growing their American market and he gives the game “accessibility”. You don’t have to know as much if he’s commentating, so his voice (and LaSaux’s) are the “gateway-drug” voices for footy, here in the US. In that respect they are perfect. The “average American” can join their ManCity-loving friends watching the match & enjoy it. Think of Ray Hudson et.al. for El Clasico (on just now, but not holding my breath for a 2015 quality banger). Like what newb wouldn’t want to watch more?

I love Ray but he’s too much for me now. I’ve “only” been watching since 2014 when my boy, now 16 and an excellent GK, decided he was all in for footy and we started watching matches. As an American (NYer w an English mum whose family are into rugby, not the “common” sport of footy (!!) ) I knew F all abt the game then. Now, I have a decent grasp, having watched ludicrous amounts of the game, on TV and live since then (including archived matches of games in the 70s/80s/90s, the Copa/Euros/CL/EL/WC…). I get Arlo as a broadcasting choice (Ted Lasso.. oi!). He’s immediately palatable & informative, even if I’d rather hear someone else.

I’d like to acknowledge & celebrate the unbelievable access we have here in the US now to footy from almost everywhere – like SERIOUSLY. It’s THE BEST game (though Aussie Rules Football is a blast to watch also). You need literally a ball – even a ball of trash. I feel truly blessed that my son “chose” it as a sport (or did it choose him?). It crosses cultural & economic barriers. If you can play, or even just desire to play…. you can step into almost any pick-up game anywhere IN THE WORLD.

Think about that.

I don’t believe (open to other views of course) this is even a “privileged white male American” perspective. I live in Brooklyn, & my boy has played on 4 diff teams now of all diff races, nationalities, & economic backgrounds. I’m NOT saying there aren’t some social divides, (to some degree among the parents & mostly just initial awkwardness), and… the *community* of soccer softens these somewhat. That can only be good.

RANT (never) OVER 😉

7. greg

October 24, 2021 at 10:18 am

@Tony – The 18th century called…it wants its views on gender roles returned to the time capsule for permanent lock-up.

8. Raphael

October 24, 2021 at 9:22 am

She has done very well so far. She commentated well on the Tielemans screamer. I have no problem with women commentators or referees for that matter working on men’s games if they know what they’re doing. She most definitely knows what she is doing and she sounds natural doing it, compared to Karen Carney who quite clearly doesn’t on the men’s game.

9. Tony

October 24, 2021 at 9:01 am

Why is Jacqui Oatley doing commentary ??????? So bloody irritating . I have no problem with women doing commentary on women’s games but PLEASE leave the commentary in mens games to a man.

10. MIB Fan

October 23, 2021 at 5:49 pm

natural sound on Goal Rush for the 3/4 of the first half was nice before they turned on Chris Wise’s commentary

11. bill

October 23, 2021 at 11:13 am

Mercator: yeah thats annoying isnt it! So went back the Newcastle match and at my laptop to switch when needed lol

But… I really like the fanfests. It must be a logistics nightmare for NBC and the on site crew to pull it off live. I think they do a great job walking through the crowds and all the broadcast crew look/act/talk like they are fans too, not just the NBC commentators. I always like to see fans wearing all the club shirts, yes of course the “big 6” are the most but seeing Wolves, Brighton, watford shirts walking around is good. I remember at the Boston fest seeing Leeds shirts several times and thought when are they coming up..

Go Gunners, well done Friday. fingers crossed that Magpies can win today and finally COME ON BRIGHTON later today.

It’s good to be a Neutral living in the deep south, War Damn Eagle, but just really enjoy the EPL.

12. Mercator

October 23, 2021 at 10:19 am

No commentary at all on Goal Rush?

13. SteveK

October 23, 2021 at 8:53 am

“everyone is missing the point that Efan Ekoku is on three matches this weekend”

All three are in London at least

14. Thomas Henry

October 23, 2021 at 7:42 am

Although I am only one viewer, every time Arlo White calls a game, I either watch Telemundo or I mute the sound. Again, only guy, but trying to illustrate that his presence impacts my viewing choices. Since I’m not a Nielsen house it won’t matter, still….

15. Jon

October 23, 2021 at 4:02 am

God, it’s boring to see the same arguments pro and con about Arlo and Drury as for the past 7 million EPL gameweeks. I agree with Azer about Jacqui Oatley—I find her as enjoyable to listen to as Karen Carney is painful.

16. Jesus-Sterling Fan

October 23, 2021 at 1:27 am

Is Efan calling the games from a studio or will he be actually at the games?

17. MIB Fan

October 23, 2021 at 12:14 am

everyone is missing the point that Efan Ekoku is on three matches this weekend

18. Azer

October 23, 2021 at 12:10 am

Jacqui Oatley was one of the lead commentators for the world feed at the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France. I remember watching and listening to her, did not watch Fox’s coverage. She did a great job. I’m looking forward to Brentford vs Leicester on Sunday.
    On a different note, a female referee Kateryna Monzul from Ukraine officiated a Europa League game on Thursday between Rapid Wien vs Dinamo Zagreb.

19. Adonijah Mpinga

October 22, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Interesting, the first time a women is the lead commentator for a Premier League game in a while. Brentford vs Leicester City is gonna be interesting

20. Shriniwas Patwardhan

October 22, 2021 at 9:53 pm

Yes Greg that’s my point. It’s impossible to pinpoint an Arlo White effect, and hence you can’t say that removing him would make no difference whatsoever either. I guess it comes down to taste really. I grew up in India where we got the sky sports/BT feed on ESPN and Star sports so I’m used to that type of high quality commentary, with the likes of Drury almost bordering on poetry. The American form of commentary seems too matter of fact for my taste. And again, I am not under the impression that NBC WILL actually do anything about it. My point is that getting the world feed might make the product better to viewers because for you it might make no difference but for me it does, so clearly zero effect on you and positive on me so positive overall. What I meant by the statement about it normalizing – you cant simply say that “NBC has grown” and take that to mean “NBC has utilized the full potential of the EPL” because EPL has grown generally in the same time frame too. So the growth of NBC is not an independent effect based on the network’s decisions but it is a mixed effect taking into consideration the growth of EPL also. So you don’t have another “control” to show that another network did not grow as much, and hence you can’t claim that NBC played all its cards right either.

21. greg

October 22, 2021 at 5:11 pm

@Shriniwas I wouldn’t take comments on youtube clips as indicative of anything. That’s a cesspool of hate and sh*t-posting. As for “Have you normalized the growth of NBC subscriptions with respect to general growth of EPL over time in the US ?” What does that even mean? Cable subs are down, and cable-like services (Fubo, et al) are up and down, lots of churn. But that has more to do with cable pricing, other streaming options, etc. Trying to pinpoint an “Arlo White effect” is impossible. Even if you somehow could determine how to make it a variable, in a regression I doubt it would have an effect size or even be significant.

The only metric consistent across time is ratings, even with their known issues. A WST article from a couple of years ago shows clear growth in audience since NBC took over.

worldsoccertalk dot com/2019/08/21/premier-league-viewership-grew-74-last-decade-us-tv/

Yes, it’s a counterfactual to imagine what ratings would be like without him, but he hasn’t been canned so as Dave notes, NBC likely knows something about whether he is a plus, minus or neutral on viewer numbers.

22. SteveK

October 22, 2021 at 5:01 pm

Thank you Mercator, I’m streaming too with Sling and have had intermittent little blocking and artifacts all throughout the game, just enough to be annoying.

23. dave

October 22, 2021 at 4:41 pm

I concur fully with this statement from @greg – ““Best product” is in the eye of the beholder”
    Unless a broadcast is on multiple channels (e.g., Manning-cast for MNF or homer radio simulcast on alternate CFB championship feeds), there is always a challenge of appealing to a diverse audience for a highly viewed game. Personally, I like Arlo’s call and enjoy the “big game” feel when he is joined by Graeme and Lee. I can appreciate that others see it very differently. NBC likely has pretty good analytics and a sense for how that all balances out.

24. Mercator

October 22, 2021 at 4:34 pm

Picture is fine for me streaming NBCSN. Arsenal are having a great day

25. SteveK

October 22, 2021 at 3:42 pm

Anyone watching Arsenal Villa on NBCSN and seeing the picture break up occasionally?

26. Michael F

October 22, 2021 at 3:01 pm

Ah… the endless weekly whine about Arlo White when the weekly EPL Matchweek commentators are posted. If anything, you whiners are totally predictable.

Since when has the world feed ever took precedence over NBC’s team of Arlo White / Lee Dixon and/or Graeme Le Saux for the top matches of the weekend?? Never. The highest profile match aired on OTA NBC or NBCSN has always been Arlo White and company, and yet you are surprised?

Or maybe you thought this was your opportunity to cry about it… yet again, ad-nauseasm. It seems to be the thing to do here. Haha.

27. Shriniwas Patwardhan

October 22, 2021 at 2:44 pm

I take it that you’re a snobby football connoisseur too ? Because you said “Don’t disagree that Drury is better”. You’re trying to support your argument by making it sound like you’re presenting the counter factual, when in fact you’re not. In fact, there’s ample evidence to suggest that Drury is in fact better liked by a hell of a lot more people than Dixon or White. Just go on YouTube and read the comments under any video after searching “Peter Drury commentary”. I’d be surprised if you could find such adulation under an Arlo white video, if you ever did find such a video in the first place.
    And how exactly do you know it doesn’t hinder growth ? Have you normalized the growth of NBC subscriptions with respect to general growth of EPL over time in the US ? Since the new rights are going to go on sale next year, I hope they go to CBS because they surely keep their commentary top notch for the UCL games.

28. greg

October 22, 2021 at 2:29 pm

“Best product” is in the eye of the beholder. And right now NBC holds the power to make decisions about what’s best. There’s no evidence to claim either way that using White over Drury helps or hinders audience growth. In fact, given that ratings and audience have grown for EPL on NBC over the years, there’s evidence he doesn’t hurt.

Just because a handful of people here or on twitter might not like him doesn’t mean he’s a detriment. I’d argue that while his style doesn’t necessarily appeal to the snobby football connoisseur his mix of Brit accent & Americanized style appeals to the people NBC needs to attract to keep growing in the US.

29. Shriniwas Patwardhan

October 22, 2021 at 2:08 pm

Well, good sense did prevail when they got the world feed for Ronaldo’s return at the Newcastle game. And anyway, I don’t think it’s entirely wishful thinking. If NBC wants more customers to stay then putting up the BEST product, not necessarily YOUR HOMEMADE product is the way to go. If Drury is better liked, who cares whether NBC employs him or not ?

30. greg

October 22, 2021 at 2:00 pm

Yes, because on arguably the biggest fixture on the EPL calendar every year NBC won’t have their #1 announcer calling the match. Don’t disagree that Drury is better, it’s just hopelessly wishful thinking that White doesn’t get that match.

31. rick

October 22, 2021 at 1:05 pm

Arlo White sounds like he’s calling a game on the radio- nonstop talking. Peter Drury would’ve been a better choice.

32. Shriniwas Patwardhan

October 22, 2021 at 12:50 pm

How does NBC decide which games will get the world feed ? This week’s United vs Liverpool fixture has Drury on the world feed and we have to settle for Arlo White and Lee Dixon. What a drop!

• Christopher Harris

October 22, 2021 at 1:45 pm

NBC gets to pick and choose which games it wants to feature its own commentator. The rest are world feed.