Barcelona (AFP) – Barcelona will have to beat Dynamo Kiev to have any chance of reaching the knock-out stage of the Champions League, coach Ronald Koeman said on Tuesday.
After losing 3-0 to both Bayern Munich and Benfica, Barca sit bottom of Group E with two games against Kiev up next, the first at Camp Nou on Wednesday.
Barcelona last went out in the Champions League group stage 21 years ago.
“Tomorrow we are playing for our future in this Champions League,” said Koeman. “After losing two games, we have to win to have a chance of going through. There is no other option.”
Koeman must decide whether to play Ansu Fati from the start against Kiev, with a Clasico against Real Madrid to come on Sunday.
Fati has lifted the mood at the club since returning from 11 months out through injury.
He scored on his first game back against Levante last month and struck another goal in a 3-1 win over Valencia on Sunday.
There have been concerns the 18-year-old could leave when his contract expires at the end of the season but Koeman said an agreement is now close.
“The only thing I know is they are close to renewing Ansu Fati’s contract,” said Koeman. “This is very important news. We are talking about a young, high-quality player who has to shape the future of this club.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- USMNT staggers into World Cup following draw with Saudi Arabia
- 2026 World Cup Final will reportedly be in Arlington, Texas
- England can’t win the World Cup without Jude Bellingham
- Qatar calls up hundreds of civilians to provide security at World Cup
- Michael Sheen send-off speech fires up Wales prior to World Cup
- Massive brawl at pub stains England vs Germany match
- Where to find Argentina vs. Jamaica on US TV
- Where to find Brazil vs. Tunisia on US TV
- Where to find Mexico vs. Colombia on US TV
- Where to find Portugal vs. Spain on US TV