Manchester (United Kingdom) (AFP) – A Manchester City fans’ group has reacted angrily to Pep Guardiola’s plea for bigger attendances at the Etihad, telling the City manager to concentrate on coaching.
Guardiola was frustrated by the turnout for City’s 6-3 win over RB Leipzig on Wednesday to begin their Champions League campaign.
A crowd of 38,062 saw the nine-goal thriller, well down on the over 50,000 that have attended City’s opening two Premier League games.
“I would like more people to come to the next game on Saturday,” Guardiola told BT Sport.
“We will need the people next Saturday, please, because we will be tired. I invite all our people to come next Saturday, 3pm, and watch the game.”
City’s poor attendances and flat atmosphere for Champions League home games are often used as a stick to beat the club with by rival fans.
However, Kevin Parker, the general secretary of City’s official supporters’ club, said Guardiola had to be more appreciative of the time and money supporters spend.
“He doesn’t understand the difficulties that some people might have getting to a game at the Etihad on a Wednesday evening at 8pm,” Parker said.
“They’ve got kids to think of, they might not be able to afford it, there are still some Covid issues about. I don’t see why he comments on it.
“He’s absolutely the best coach in the world but, in the nicest possible way, I think maybe he should stick to that.”
Parker added that Guardiola’s comments will only add fuel to the fire of opposition fans mocking City’s support.
“People refer to the Etihad as the ‘Emptyhad’. It’s a little bit of fun by the opposition supporters but there’s no justification for it. It’s not factual. Our attendances are generally excellent.”
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family