Madrid (AFP) – La Liga president Javier Tebas on Wednesday hit out at Qatari-owned Paris Saint-Germain and what he called “club-states” after the French club signed Lionel Messi and a host of stars in the transfer window.
“The club-states are as dangerous for the ecosystem of football as the Super League,” Tebas said on Twitter.
“We were critical towards the Super League because it destroyed European football and we are equally critical of PSG.”
Tebas said PSG paying Messi a reported salary of 500,000 euros ($590,000) a week was “unsustainable” when TV revenues for France’s Ligue 1 are down 40 percent and the coronavirus pandemic has caused deep losses.
Messi’s tearful departure from cash-strapped Barcelona means the Spanish league has now lost its three biggest names in the space of five years.
Neymar moved to PSG from Barca for a world record 222 million euros in 2017, Cristiano Ronaldo left Real Madrid to join Juventus in 2018 and PSG lured Messi away from the Catalans, who could no longer afford to keep the six-time Ballon d’Or winner.
During the transfer window that closed on Tuesday, PSG also signed Real Madrid’s veteran defender Sergio Ramos, Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma, Morocco defender Ashraf Hakimi, Netherlands midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum and Portugal defender Nuno Mendes.
The French club, who will bid to win the Champions League for the first time this season, also turned down a number of bids from Real for forward Kylian Mbappe.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Man Utd need ‘major surgery’ under Ten Hag – Dwight Yorke
- Xavi says Barcelona need rebuild but silent on Lewandowski
- Roma and Feyenoord hoping to turn the corner in Conference League final
- Chelsea tickets on sale for U.S. friendlies
- Man City title miracle all part of Pep’s plan
- Hertha Berlin keep Bundesliga status with play-off win at Hamburg
- Italy face Argentina in UEFA vs CONMEBOL final on FS1
- Spinazzola makes Italy return for ‘Finalissima’ and Nations League
- Ukraine will be ready for World Cup play-off: Scotland boss Clarke
- Avram Glazer defends Man Utd reign after troubled season