Madrid (AFP) – La Liga president Javier Tebas on Wednesday hit out at Qatari-owned Paris Saint-Germain and what he called “club-states” after the French club signed Lionel Messi and a host of stars in the transfer window.
“The club-states are as dangerous for the ecosystem of football as the Super League,” Tebas said on Twitter.
“We were critical towards the Super League because it destroyed European football and we are equally critical of PSG.”
Tebas said PSG paying Messi a reported salary of 500,000 euros ($590,000) a week was “unsustainable” when TV revenues for France’s Ligue 1 are down 40 percent and the coronavirus pandemic has caused deep losses.
Messi’s tearful departure from cash-strapped Barcelona means the Spanish league has now lost its three biggest names in the space of five years.
Neymar moved to PSG from Barca for a world record 222 million euros in 2017, Cristiano Ronaldo left Real Madrid to join Juventus in 2018 and PSG lured Messi away from the Catalans, who could no longer afford to keep the six-time Ballon d’Or winner.
During the transfer window that closed on Tuesday, PSG also signed Real Madrid’s veteran defender Sergio Ramos, Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma, Morocco defender Ashraf Hakimi, Netherlands midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum and Portugal defender Nuno Mendes.
The French club, who will bid to win the Champions League for the first time this season, also turned down a number of bids from Real for forward Kylian Mbappe.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family