London (AFP) – Christian Pulisic will miss Chelsea’s Premier League trip to Arsenal after testing positive for the coronavirus, Blues manager Thomas Tuchel said Friday.
The United States forward missed Chelsea’s open training session on Wednesday, and is not available for Sunday’s game at the Emirates Stadium as he self-isolates.
But Hakim Ziyech and N’Golo Kante are both back in training, and could yet prove their fitness in time to feature in the clash between the London clubs.
“Christian’s absence is unfortunately pretty easy to explain, he had a positive test, and needs to follow the protocols,” said Tuchel.
“So he was not in training and is not available for the game.”
Ziyech suffered a shoulder injury in Chelsea’s penalty shoot-out European Super Cup win over Villarreal, while Kante has been sidelined with an ankle problem.
“Hakim and N’Golo were both in training today (Friday), and did everything to be in training today and had absolutely no problems,” Tuchel said. “But they need another more physical, intense training session tomorrow with the team.
“We can decide after that, but right now it seems very positive that both can be in the squad for Sunday.”
Chelsea opened their new Premier League campaign with a convincing 3-0 home win over Crystal Palace last weekend.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- USMNT World Cup kits real or fake? Combing through the clues
- Brighton sign Ecuador’s Estupinan from Villarreal
- PSV rescue Rangers draw as Obispo spares Benitez’s blushes in Champions League play-offs
- Ex-Man Utd star Giggs admits to lifelong infidelity in court testimony
- Our 6 way-too-early reactions to 2022/23 Premier League season
- Van Dijk says Nunez must ‘control himself’ after Liverpool red card
- Man City complete signing of Spanish defender Gomez
- International efforts needed to understand sport’s dementia risk: report
- ‘Very special’: English teenager Bynoe-Gittens extends Dortmund deal
- Where to find Rangers vs. PSV Eindhoven on US TV