London (AFP) – One of the oldest existing copies of the rule book of football has sold for almost £57,000, auction house Sotheby’s said on Tuesday.
The auctioneers logged the final price on its website as £56,700 ($77,200, 65,900 euros), saying the bidding had been driven by its historical significance and the insight it gave into the development of the modern game.
The hand-annotated pamphlet, discovered in a Victorian scrapbook, was printed in 1859 after a series of meetings held by Sheffield Football Club to formalise the game, Sotheby’s said in a statement.
The only other surviving copy of the rule book was part of the Sheffield club’s historical archive, which was sold in its entirety for £881,000 in July 2011.
Established in 1857, Sheffield Football Club is acknowledged by both the English association and football’s international governing body FIFA as the world’s oldest club.
The club had a key impact on the development of the game, innovating set-pieces like the indirect free kick and the corner kick, as well as crossbars on goals.
The pamphlet shows changes to the rules written by hand, including the hardening of conventions against handling the ball.
“This exceptional piece of sporting history takes us straight back to the origins of ‘the beautiful game’ over 160 years ago,” Gabriel Heaton, Sotheby’s Books and Manuscripts Specialist said.
“As well as being an important artefact in its own right, the pamphlet also gives us a unique insight into the development of the rules of the game through hand-written annotations.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Tuchel and Conte charged after Battle of the Bridge
- Man City’s Mendy was ‘predator’ pursuing women, rape trial hears
- New Brentford book captures heart of club: Just a Bus Stop in Hounslow
- Spurs midfielder Lo Celso joins Villarreal on loan
- African players in Europe: Dream home debut for Awoniyi
- Where to find Juventus vs. Sassuolo on US TV
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Crystal Palace on US TV
- Famous clubs battle for Champions League group slots
- Alaba free-kick gives Real Madrid win to start title defence
- Roma squeeze past Salernitana, Immobile fires Lazio to Bologna win