Madrid (AFP) – Rodrigo de Paul, who helped Argentina to win the Copa America at the weekend, has signed a five-year deal with Atletico Madrid, the Spanish champions announced on Monday.
“Atletico Madrid have reached an agreement with Udinese for the transfer of Rodrigo de Paul” until June 2026, the La Liga winners said in a statement.
Atletico did not give a transfer fee but, according to the Spanish press, it is in the region of 35 million euros ($41 million).
It will be a second spell in Spain for the 27-year-old midfielder who played for Valencia between 2014 and 2016 when he arrived from Racing in Argentina.
Valencia will also benefit from the transfer, a clause from their sale of de Paul to Udinese guaranteeing them a percentage of a sell-on.
“A powerful midfielder comes to our club, comfortable in joining the attack and capable of both scoring goals and providing them for his teammates,” said Atletico.
“I am very happy, I am going to the La Liga champions and I know the responsibility that this entails. It is a great step in my football career,” de Paul said in the statement.
Brazilian-Portuguese winger Marcos Paulo joined Atletico last week while coach Diego Simeone has extended his contract until 2024.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- MLS Earthquakes name US assistant Gonzalez as coach
- What it’s like watching the Premier League from Hawaii
- Ineos billionaire Ratcliffe ‘potential buyer’ of Man Utd
- Mendy rape accuser tells UK court she tried to fight off footballer
- Man Utd legend Giggs cites disciplinary record in assault trial
- Christian Pulisic’s ominous, but necessary, move to Man United
- Sevilla sign youngster Nianzou from Bayern
- Ronaldo cautioned by police after allegedly slapping phone from fan’s hand
- PSG defender Kehrer joins West Ham
- Dubai airport gears up to handle World Cup supporters