Connect with us

ESPN

ESPN’s Euro 2020 viewership up 25 percent

Through the quarterfinals (48 matches), UEFA EURO 2020 on ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 has delivered an average audience of 1,146,000 viewers, a 25 percent increase compared to the same matches in 2016 on ESPN and ESPN2 (917,000 viewers).

An average audience of 2,018,000 viewers watched the four quarterfinal matches on ABC and ESPN on Friday and Saturday (July 2-3), a 16 percent increase compared to the 1,737,000 average viewers who watched the quarterfinals in 2016.

England’s 4-0 victory over Ukraine on ABC was the most-viewed match of the weekend with 2,534,000 viewers – the sixth most-viewed match since ESPN and ABC began airing the Euros in 2008.

Audiences for Quarterfinal Matches on ABC/ESPN:

1. Ukraine vs. England, 2.534 million
2. Belgium vs. Italy, 2.368 million
3. Czech Republic vs. Denmark, 1.694 million
4. Switzerland vs. Spain, 1.612 million

Coverage of UEFA EURO 2020 will culminate with Italy vs. England in the Final on Sunday at 2:30 p.m. ET, on ESPN and ESPN+ and streamed live on the ESPN App. Ian Darke and Taylor Twellman will call the match from Wembley Stadium in London.

Pregame coverage will begin at 2 p.m. on ESPN2 with Rece Davis hosting from Bristol, Conn., and Kelly Cates live from a set outside Wembley. ESPN’s collection of analysts will be led by former national team stars Alessandro Del Piero (Italy) and Steve McManaman (England). Global sports correspondent Sam Borden will also report from the stadium.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
  • Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more

13 Comments

13 Comments

1. Lee Gaucher

July 11, 2021 at 5:06 pm

That’s a good point, Nosferatu. Anyway, I switched to TUDN after ten minutes.

On the video side, why are there so many crowd/player/coach closeups while play is going on? I want to see the action on the pitch, not individual faces.

2. Edward

July 11, 2021 at 3:17 pm

I muted ESPN and turned on Five Live

3. Tony

July 10, 2021 at 10:19 pm

I agree with Nosferatu , Stick to the MLS Twellman and leave the BIG games to the professionals that know what they are talking about and that does not include dribble ………………………..

4. Nosferatu

July 10, 2021 at 2:00 pm

I don’t think that’s true, Lee. For one, NBC doesn’t care about having an American as part of their top crew (which doesn’t mean I love Arlo, but it does show it’s not necessary). And it’s especially absurd to have Twellman, who played a total of 36 times in Europe, as the most prominent figure at a tournament called the European Championship.

5. Lee Gaucher

July 10, 2021 at 6:40 am

It’s unrealistic to expect that an American broadcaster is not going to choose an American boy for the big show. Anyway, if I can’t tune him out, like I normally do, I’ll switch to TUDN.

6. Nosferatu

July 10, 2021 at 3:28 am

This decision is ESPN in a nutshell. And it’s the kind of thing that makes me really prefer that the Premier League stay with NBC instead of ESPN with the next deal.

7. Eric T

July 9, 2021 at 11:07 pm

ESPN sees Twellman as the Stephen A. Smith of soccer. Reall quite weird.

8. Tony

July 9, 2021 at 9:50 pm

Why drop Robson for ‘I can’t shut up’ Twellman ?????????? For god’s sake who the hell at ESPN / DISNEY think that Twellman is any good at this ???????? He must have friends in high places because I know of anybody that likes his non stop dribble……. He takes what should be a sentence and turns it into a novel ….
    Looks like Univision or TUDN For me.

9. Ra

July 9, 2021 at 9:05 pm

I wish they provided additional audio feeds. I would prefer to hear the original audio to Twellman’s BS extravaganza.

10. Azer

July 9, 2021 at 7:59 pm

ESPN can go to hell. I wonder how Stewart Robson feels about getting dropped from the Final. I’m sure he’s upset but is keeping quiet for the money Disney is paying him. I wish he would speak out. What kind of idiot at ESPN is making those decisions? Taylor Twelmann is beyond terrible. I will complain to ESPN. Shame on them.

11. Lee Gaucher

July 9, 2021 at 3:59 pm

The overall increase might be due to more people “working” from home.

12. Daam Van Reeth

July 9, 2021 at 3:08 pm

Can the exact TV audiences for the group stage games be posted as well? Only audiences of best-watched group stage games have been posted so far.

13. Tom3

July 9, 2021 at 10:46 am

I wish they’d have left Robson in the analyst chair. Twellman has made great strides in his analysis in the last couple of years but I prefer Robson for this match. I enjoy Ian Darke and applaud that choice (both Champion and Darke are excellent).