Rome (AFP) – Italy coach Roberto Mancini said Sunday that winning trophies was more important than achieving records as Italy extended their undefeated run to 30 games with a 1-0 win over Wales.
Italy have won 25 and drawn five going back to September 2018, matching the record set under two-time World Cup winning coach Vittorio Pozzo between 1935 and 1939.
“It’s nice to have equalled a legend like Pozzo. But he has more important trophies than the 30 games,” said Mancini.
“We are happy because all the players had a great game and changing eight players at kick-off, it was not necessarily an obvious thing to do.
“I would have changed even if the game had been decisive, I needed fresh strength in the game. We had to gain some minutes.”
“We are 26, we need them to play and have time to play.
“It will be a little more difficult to make the choices, yes.
“A lot of players are used to playing big matches, it will be a shame to leave some aside, but we can count on a lot of players, that’s the most important thing.”
Wales also qualified for the Euro 2020 last 16 as runners-up of Group A despite the loss.
Matteo Pessina’s goal in Rome means Italy will play the runner-up from Group C in the next round, with Wales facing the team that comes second in Group B.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Alaba free-kick gives Real Madrid win to start title defence
- Roma squeeze past Salernitana, Immobile fires Lazio to Bologna win
- Chippa inflict first loss on Orlando Pirates’ new ‘plumber’ coach
- Alexis Sanchez makes Marseille debut in Brest draw
- ‘Fair tackle’ as Tuchel insists no hard feelings after Conte clash
- ‘Simply extraordinary’ Musiala scores again as Bayern beat Wolfsburg
- Liverpool vs Crystal Palace on TV: Reds host Vieira’s Palace
- Japan star Kubo nets winner on Real Sociedad debut
- Conte, Tuchel see red as Kane snatches Spurs draw at Chelsea
- Musiala scores again as Bayern beat Wolfsburg