Baku (AFP) – Captain Gareth Bale said Wednesday’s win over Turkey in Baku puts Wales in a “great position” to reach the Euro 2020 last 16.
Aaron Ramsey and Connor Roberts scored to send Wales top of Group A on four points before Italy host Switzerland later on.
“The victory puts us in a great position,” Bale told the BBC.
“If you’d have offered us four points at the start we would’ve bitten your hand off,” he added.
A hostile crowd whistled every touch from Bale and his team-mate with the locals supporting the Crescent Stars due to historical links between Turkey and Azerbaijan.
“It helped, playing in front of no fans it’s difficult to get the adrenaline going,” Bale said.
“The fans were fantastic, I know most of them were Turkish but the Wales fans were incredible.
“We want to thanks the fans at home too, I’m sure they’ll be cheering in their millions tonight,” he added.
Real Madrid forward Bale missed a second-half spot-kick before Roberts’ injury-time effort.
“We fought hard, we worked our socks off like we always do,” the 31-year-old said.
“I missed the pen but I showed good character and feel I helped the team keep going.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Summer transfer market shakes up power dynamic among elite
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV
- Lukaku ‘very happy’ as he arrives in Milan ahead of Inter return
- Iniesta’s Vissel fire manager after less than three months
- UEFA do not lack ambition for women’s Euro, says Kessler
- Are World Cup tickets available for Qatar 2022?
- Minamino leaves Liverpool for Ligue 1 club Monaco
- Netherlands looks to snap World Cup dud at Qatar 2022
- Lukaku expected in Milan ‘this evening’ ahead of Inter return: CEO
- French minister apologises for Champions League chaos