Seoul (AFP) – South Korea paid emotional tribute to late World Cup hero Yoo Sang-chul as they smashed Sri Lanka 5-0 to take charge of their World Cup qualifying group on Wednesday.
With Tottenham Hotspur star Son Heung-min watching from the bench, Shanghai Shenhua striker Kim Shin-wook scored twice in the Group H romp in Goyang, two days after Yoo’s death was announced.
Former midfielder Yoo, who was 49 and had been battling pancreatic cancer, was a mainstay of South Korea’s memorable run to the 2002 World Cup semi-finals on home soil.
A moment’s silence and video tribute preceded the game, while the Korean team wore black armbands. After opening the scoring in the 14th minute, Kim and his teammates held up a South Korea shirt bearing Yoo’s name and his number, six.
Lee Dong-gyeong then swept home his first international goal before Kim’s penalty made it 3-0 against outclassed Sri Lanka, who at 204th are just six spots off the bottom of the world rankings.
Hwang Hee-chan rifled in the fourth before debutant Jeong Sang-bin, 19, joined Lee with his maiden international goal. Sri Lanka went down to 10 men when Asikur Rahuman was sent off in the 56th minute.
The result put South Korea, who are hosting Group H, three points clear at the top thanks to Lebanon’s late collapse against Turkmenistan.
The Lebanese were 2-1 up with five minutes left but Annaguliyev Guychmyrat equalised before Altymyrat Annadurdiyev grabbed the winner in the first added minute.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Dubai airport gears up to handle World Cup supporters
- Ronaldo blasts ‘lies’ over Man Utd future
- Where to find Sheffield United vs. Sunderland on US TV
- Where to find Boca Juniors vs. Rosario Central on US TV
- Where to find Dynamo Kyiv vs. Benfica on US TV
- Muscat shrugs off Iniesta threat as Asian Champions League returns
- USMNT World Cup kits real or fake? Combing through the clues
- Brighton sign Ecuador’s Estupinan from Villarreal
- PSV rescue Rangers draw as Obispo spares Benitez’s blushes in Champions League play-offs
- Ex-Man Utd star Giggs admits to lifelong infidelity in court testimony