Johannesburg (AFP) – Orlando Pirates finished third in the South African Premiership on Saturday and qualified for the 2022 CAF Confederation Cup despite being held 0-0 at home by lowly TTM.
The famed Soweto club took a three-point advantage over sole rivals for third, Golden Arrows, into the final round of the season as they sought a place in the African equivalent of the UEFA Europa League.
Arrows had to beat third-from-bottom Stellenbosch at home in Durban to have any chance of overtaking Pirates, but also featured in a 0-0 stalemate and came fourth.
Pirates disappointed on a cold southern hemisphere winter evening and took 56 minutes to hit the target with a goal attempt, which Zimbabwean Washington Arubi easily saved from Malawian Frank Mhango.
Whether qualifying for Africa can save German coach Josef Zinnbauer from the sack at Pirates is uncertain as several former stars at the club and many supporters have called for his dismissal.
His critics were particularly angered by a 4-0 drubbing at Raja Casablanca of Morocco last month in the quarter-finals of the 2021 Confederation Cup.
“Criticism is normal after a heavy loss — it happens everywhere in the world,” said Zinnbauer after completing his first full season with the Buccaneers.
“We were very inconsistent this season with generally good results at home and many disappointing ones on the road.”
– Award contenders –
Mamelodi Sundowns, who sealed a record fourth straight title last week, finished with a 3-0 triumph over mid-table Cape Town City in Pretoria.
Namibia star Peter Shalulile scored twice for the champions to raise his league goal tally to 15, one less than Golden Boot winner Bradley Grobler from SuperSport United.
Shalulile, teammate Themba Zwane and Thabiso Kutumela from Maritzburg United are the contenders for the Player of the Season and Players’ Player of the Season awards, which will be announced on Sunday.
Another Namibian, Deon Hotto from Pirates, and Uganda goalkeeper Denis Onyango from Sundowns are the other non-South Africans in line for prizes.
Second-place AmaZulu, who will compete in the CAF Champions League for the first time next season, drew 0-0 away to Maritzburg and finished 13 points behind Sundowns.
Kaizer Chiefs won again under caretaker coaches Arthur Zwane and Dillon Sheppard with a goal from Serbian Samir Nurkovic earning a 1-0 victory away to TS Galaxy in Mbombela.
Although Chiefs finished a disappointing eighth the victory was significant as they pipped Galaxy on goal difference for the last place in a rich knockout competition early next season.
At the wrong end of the table, Chippa United conceded a stoppage-time equaliser to draw 1-1 with SuperSport United in Gqeberha and will playoff with two second-tier clubs for one Premiership place.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Vela, Ruidiaz lift MLS All-Stars to 2-1 win over Liga MX
- Six new faces to watch in Serie A
- Barcelona sell off assets to make signings in attempt to restore glory days
- Germany 2022 World Cup Kits leaked
- Rivals jostle for Milan’s Serie A crown
- Brazil against replaying abandoned Argentina World Cup qualifier
- Real Madrid defeat Eintracht Frankfurt to win fifth UEFA Super Cup
- Silva says Man City know what he wants amid Barcelona links
- Zamalek president jailed for insulting rival
- Peacock TV wishlist of improvements to enhance streaming service